How has the new Macbook been selling?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by -Ryan-, Dec 23, 2009.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'm interested as to how everyone thinks the new unibody Macbook has been selling. I think it's been a bit of a flop. Pretty much mixed reviews all round. I'm yet, over 2 months on to actually see one in the wild outside of the Apple store. This is highly unusual, as most Apple products I encounter new owners only after a matter or days or weeks after release.
    Initially I'd been looking to buy one as a replacement for my aluminium Macbook late 2008, but as time goes on I've been put off the idea because of the negativity surrounding them. How many have you guys encountered? If you have one, do you regret it over getting an aluminium 13" Pro? Do you feel as though they've been a good seller for Apple, or behind the scenes do you believe they're disappointed about early sales? :)

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

When you sort amazon's laptop section by "Bestselling" as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=503611971&pf_rd_i=565108 the Unibody MacBook is their #1 seller...so it must be doing alright ;) The 13" MacBook Pro @ 2.26ghz places #3 while the 2.53ghz 13" MacBook Pro comes in at #5.

Granted the site I gave was amazon.com for the US. When I check out amazon.co.uk, the Unibody MacBook (white) places #24 on their bestsellers chart with the MacBook Pro 13" not even in the top 25.

3. chill. macrumors 6502

why would you buy it as a replacement for the 2008 alum unibody, it's 95% the same thing

4. Aadhil macrumors regular

If you wan't the laptop then get it.

I for one am very happy with mine.

5. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, it might be 95% the same thing on the specs page, but there were a couple of reasons I was almost convinced to get one. The superior screen was one; I unfortunately have one of the early batch of unibody aluminium Macbooks with a really awful screen. Secondly, I really wanted the battery life of the new built-in batteries, as the 3 1/2 hours on mine just doesn't cut it for a days work away from the desk.
    But then it quickly became apparent to me that the lack of a dedicated headphone/microphone ports put me right off, and also the reviews weren't too positive.

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It's Apple's top selling laptop and currently their second best selling item.

7. iRach macrumors member

iRach

8. Aadhil macrumors regular

One of the main reasons I bought one so early was cause very few (if any) problems were reported by macbook users :p

9. Maim macrumors member

they are extremely popular, we sold out of them a couple of times coming up to xmas, but it sounds more like you want a pro :/

10. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I got it over the 13" MBP because it was almost the same spec for spec except that the MB has a bigger hard drive. It was an obvious choice.

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

And no mirror attached to the screen ;)

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

-.-

I use my MacBook Pro outside in the sun just fine. All you do is turn the brightness to about full and if the sun is DIRECTLY on the display, just turn the backlight OFF and you'll find the sun has a way of lighting the unlit display itself.

I've never once said "damn this reflection!" because it's MY face I see, but seriously I don't. However I DO normally notice the colors have a particular "pop" that I very much like but don't have on my external displays.

For me, in most cases, I prefer the glass display...if only it weren't GLASS but something less shatter-ready, OR a good ole CRT.

13. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Yep its a personal thing, i just happen to dislike the glass front :D

14. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

As MrCheeto pointed out (the fact everyone appears to try to avoid) is that if the display gets too lit up by the sun... you just turn the goddamned backlight OFF and the sun lights that up. It also has the plus side of a) lookin balling b) being easier on the battery and c) lookin balling.

15. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I don't know how well it's selling overall, but I just bought one. :D

16. Ammo macrumors regular

Same reason why I got the MB too.

I'm a white unibody owner and I freaking LOVE this thing.

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its not the uWB but I'm happy with my whitebook:D

18. johnsy macrumors 6502

Can anyone shine the light what negativity unibody macbook has (I assume you talk about white one)? I personally think it is the best macbook so far. I compared side by side unibody macbook and 13" macbook pro and screen looks almost the same (mbp has a little bit more crispier colors, but that is very slight difference to my eyes). Yes, I hate to see FW port gone (one of the most important features for me), but other than that it is almost identical to 13" mbp. In fact comparing my 15" classic mbp and unibody white macbook I lean a little bit more towards macbook.

19. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Just something worth noting. On the Uk Apple site Apple UK at the bottom it says that the 13" MBP is the most popular mac. Might have to reload the page once or twice to get the info at it doesn't always appear.

20. Skippy440 macrumors member

Skippy440

Speaking to the Apple store up here in Ontario Canada, the new MacBooks are selling very well.
    Let's not forget that you can also buy them online ( as I did, seeing that I wanted 4GB ram/320GB HD on mine:D ) and I would imagine that Apple is selling a lot of them online and at the retail level.:apple:

21. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

My friend bought one,it's rather nice actually.I don't like a few things about it,like, how you have to pay apple to upgrade the ram as you have to take the botom off and it voids the warranty and that it doesn't have firewire,a must for me.

22. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

*sigh*

For the 1,356,829,193th time!

Replacing the ram or hard drive does NOT void your Apple warranty.

They even show you how to do it in the instruction manual that comes with it!

Sheesh!

Yeah...Apple's low market share can mostly be attributed to ignorance.