How has your iPhone helped you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 226896, Nov 24, 2008.

1. 226896 Guest

I thought I'd start a thread where people can share experiences of where the iPhone has helped you in whatever way, and where other phones would not have been able to help in the same way, if at all.

For example, the other day I needed to know the balance of my bank account. I was out, and didn't know where the nearest cash machine was, so I pulled out my iPhone, and using Safari, logged onto my online banking and checked it. Took me about two minutes, max. Other phones would have been too slow at rendering the banking website, let alone trying to scroll around it and enter in my password etc.

Come on people, share your stories. Maybe it'll give other people some ideas of what they could be doing with their iPhone :).

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm studying in a new city and I do some part time jobs now and then, so I'm always going to interviews. Since I still don't know my way around the city my iPhone helps me not getting lost when I go on a interview in a place I don't know. And now with 2.2 it's even better because I can check the public transports on maps.

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

So far has been great for sending emails when i am away from a fixed connection, keeping up with my reports with the calendar.

And the alarm clock is spot on :p

4. halesvb11 macrumors newbie

5. 226896 thread starter Guest

Amen to that!

Just met a girl actually, and she always asks to play Bejeweled on my iPhone. Wonder if she's using me :D.

6. .adam macrumors regular

Was walking home from the train station the other day and my girlfriend calls me to tell me the dual-carriageway was shut down as there was a bomb scare.

This road is the only main road into my town so she asked me to try and find an alternative way home for her.

I used Google Maps to chart a path home through a National Park, avoiding the standard alternative route home that a few hundred motorists decided to take! She avoided the traffic and got a nice drive home too!

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

gasbag app

I was in santa ana ( not a city im very familiar with)

i was low on gas, i was able to find hte cheapest gas station around me and save over $2 bucks :D

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

People today still ask me "Is that an iPhone?" I always reply nicely, and they usually have questions about it. It's a good conversation starter none the least. I can't say how many times people always ask me if they can see my phone to play something cool. But that is helping them, not me :)

My iPhone has helped me in every way possible. From using the GPS in downtown chicago, to taking pictures of a criminal, it's helped me a lot, and i treat my iPhone good, and in return it treats me well. I don't understand how other people with iPhones get them all dinged up. They always say how i keep mine so clean.

9. 226896 thread starter Guest

Same here. People seem to be amazed by the fact I have an iPhone and I'm like, dude, they're like free on contract (here in the UK anyway) so I don't know why people are so shocked to see that I have one.

10. .adam macrumors regular

I'd be more amazed at the fact that you use the word 'dude' and you're from the UK.

11. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

It saves me lugging a laptop with me for internet access for emails or IM (fring).
    I've used Maps when I've been abroad on holidays (very very handy)
    And... Saves me carrying a mobile and iPod. Now just the 1 device. So it's helped me a lot :)

12. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Let's me get email. Read web sites while waiting in line, draw ideas with my sketch app, check the weather, check rss feeds, google maps for traffic, google maps to find stuff, play a game if I am board.

and the list goes on...
    :)

13. ottergal macrumors member

My friend and I had an "iphone commercial" moment last night. We'd stopped at a bar before a movie and were talking about her upcoming 30th b-day. I said that I wanted to take her to dinner since I was going to miss her party, where did she want to go?

We used Urban Spoon to find a random place neither of us had ever been to, then used the phone to look at reviews and the menus of places that sounded interesting. Then clicked the phone number and made the reservation all before the next round of drinks came.

Earth shattering? Nope. Make planning easier? Oh yeah.. we would have gone back and forth in email or on the phone without sitting down and doing together at that point.

14. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

My iPhone has really helped me find information fast. Be it in the car, home or work, if I need some information and dont have a PC near the iPhone is my friend.

Also is a great bathroom accessory when a book just wont do.:rolleyes:

15. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Wow....wash your hands before touching the iphone.

16. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

17. trunksu macrumors 6502

LoL. one of the companies i used to work for, once in awhile you could hear people in the stalls typing on their keyboard :eek:

edit: OT, simply making my phone and ipod into one device. the internet was a big plus too :)

18. redman042 macrumors 68020

Heck I play a couple rounds of billiards on Virtual Pool while I do my business in the office restroom. I keep the volume low so someone doesn't walk by and hear me dropping balls in the pockets while I drop stink pickles in the bowl. That would be a little hard to explain.

And no, I do not touch my phone with dirty hands.

19. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I have used the maps several times to find my way. I also love getting/sending email wherever I am. And the apps are invaluable: face call, urban spoon, tipster...

20. pj rage macrumors 6502

I've used the phone needlessly to entertain myself, but literally 99% of the time I "need" it for something (like really really really want to do something with it, usually for a reason that isn't BS) it won't work for <insert reason here>. I wouldn't generally describe the phone as problematic, I mean it works almost all of the time when I'm screwing around. I don't know if it's more that I'm patient when not "needing" it or if I just don't pay attention when I don't "need" it, but whenever I do, I can count on it not working properly.

21. Trundle macrumors member

Found Tire

Two weeks ago I was on a road trip returning home to Los Angeles from Birmingham, AL on I-40
    Passing thru a construction zone in Western Oklahoma I damaged a tire (big pimple). Approaching Amarillo, TX (40 mi out) I used the map search function,
    Amarillo - Tires to get a listing of tire stores and called various dealers (tap # & dial as I drove) looking for a 19" tire for my Porsche (not the most popular tire in Amarillo). As luck would have it, I found a Tire store that had some Toyos.

The iPhone Map search function is great, works and saved me!!!!!

22. orrelse44 macrumors regular

I was at blockbuster the other night, and I wanted to rent a game with one of my free monthly game coupons, but I forgot the coupon. I pulled up my account from my iphone, got the coupon on my browser, and the clerk scanned the bar-code on the coupon right off my phone. Technology rules!!!!!

23. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

It keeps me from being bored. My iPod gets to stay in my car no more extra bulk. It helps me find anything I want anytime I want it. Helps me with exams anatomy apps own I could go on all night.