How have you been more productive with the iPad Pro 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Apr 2, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I am being honest here I have been less productive. This tablet is just a YouTube/Netflix monster that's not to say it can't do a million other things. But I would like to know how have others out there been spending their time on the new 9.7 Pro tablet ?

ps (I deliberately omit the 12.9 crowd it's too big to be a tablet too limited to be a laptop it fails at life)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The 9.7 Pro is just the same as the previous iPads, only with Pencil support and the ability to attach a lighter more compact keyboard in the form of the Smart Keyboard. I'm not sure why anyone can expect to be more productive with the 9.7 Pro than on the previous 9.7 iPads.

The 12.9 is a different story, because of the bigger screen. I've switched to doing most of my work on the 12.9. I'm still keeping my iMac, but I think my MacBook Air might be retired.

3. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Well, I wouldn't say the larger ipad pro fails at life. If you are a student, it makes life even easier. Its more portable than a laptop but it does need some additional iOS enhancements to be more productive (same for the smaller pro) and I can actually utilize split screen in a decent manner unlike the smaller ipad pro (split screen in this device is too small).

For movie watching and youtube, I would prefer the larger device as well; its just a better experience with the larger screen. The larger ipad pro is acquired taste for some, but no one told anyone that they had to buy it so why criticize it. In reality the small ipad pro is just too small to be truly productive on for what its worth (ipad air 3 was a better name for it).

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Moving from an Air 2 to the smaller iPP has made me more productive. I use my iPad for taking notes in meetings. I go to a LOT of meetings. It was nice on the Air, but even with a traditional capacitive stylus, it's amazing on the Pro. The experience was so good, that it encouraged me to order an Apple pencil.

I'm actually looking forward to my next meeting!

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

It's all situational. The bigger screen, keyboard, split view, and PIP video is a massive leap from the Mini 2 that I was using before. It also means that I don't have to lug a 15" MacBook Pro home from the office every night or take it on business trips that are better served by the iPad Pro. It is quite a revolution for my productivity.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

As a teacher, I have my teaching resources stored in dropbox, which is synced to pdf expert, and I usually review my teaching notes for the following days on my iPad. I did this on an iPad mini, and am doing so now on my iPad Pro 9.7, and I find that sometimes, more pixels is just no replacement for larger pixels. It is simply easier to read on a larger iPad than a smaller one, despite the smaller iPad having a greater PPI. I imagine it would be an absolute dream to read on the iPad pro 12.9, but its way to huge and cumbersome for me to use in class at any rate.

I find myself annotating on pdfs a lot these days as well, and am contemplating picking up an Apple Pencil. I previously didn't bother with any because I found that they often weren't very good, but if the writing experience of the pencil is a game changer, it might help offset the inconvenience of walking around with one in the classroom.

The iPad is also faster and smoother than my iPad mini 2, and I guess that means less time spent waiting for apps and content to load. 128gb means more room for files. Will have to test if the higher res camera shows any significant improvement in scanning documents, and when using my iPad as a makeshift visualiser.

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I am personally more productive with the addition of Split View (which was missing from my Air 1). As a programmer using a physical keyboard makes it easier to edit code.

8. Wackery macrumors 6502a

Yes! Although I've never owned an iPad Air 2, so I'm not sure if I would have the same increased productivity with that. Although the Smart Keyboard and iPad Air pro is a solid combo.

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Not, if you want to draw on it. It's perfect size.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For people coming from the mini, yes, the 9.7 would be more productive. In terms of productivity, the larger the better. For portability, the smaller the better. I'm sure many people will find the 9.7 to be the perfect compromise of portability and productivity.

11. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

The Pencil is a game changer. I recommend that you try it out for 2 weeks. If you don't like it (but you will!) you can return it

12. imac09 macrumors member

I've been a lot less productive the last two days because I've spent so much time reading all the hilarious posts people write on this forum...

13. Wackery macrumors 6502a

You've become more productive on macrumous, so that counts as productivity

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Pencil support and split view has made me more productive in reviewing and editing documents prepared by my staff. Using the pencil for mark ups in word documents or PDF's is great!

I tried out the 9.7 keyboard today at my local Apple Store, and found it to be quite usable. I ordered one for light typing work when traveling.

15. larzy macrumors regular

larzy

Does anyone know what app is used in Apples promotion video for the 9.7 iPad Pro at 1:10?

Attached Files: