How high will this Twentieth Anniversary Mac Go?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by cocacolakid, Sep 7, 2011.

1. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

2. ViviUO macrumors 6502

3. cocacolakid thread starter macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Agreed.

4. cocacolakid thread starter macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

$7300 was the final price. The auction also linked to another new in box TAM that sold for $9999.

Amazing.

But I have to wonder, if you bought it, displaying it in the box isn't very interesting. But if you open it the value plummets. I guess if you can afford it it doesn't really matter.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That's not why people buy stuff like this… :eek:
    This is akin to people buying paintings — say a Van Gogh — and keeping it in a bank vault.

All about the investment. All about the money.
    Sad… :(

6. jsolares macrumors 6502a

7. Tiggs macrumors 6502

Can't tell from the pic of the receipt but would bet they only paid $1999 for it. Of course, they make sure to note its original list price :p

8. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Boy is that guy making a mistake. Most of the time, auctions with high starting bids don't end as high as items with low starting bids. A lot of the time I see iPhone 3GSs selling for $150 (broken) with 20 bids, and then an auction that ended with 0 bids at $125. All you need is for 2 collectors to get into a bid war, and the the price will skyrocket.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I can't help but notice in those pictures that he seems to be giving away a wallet loaded with cash.

Schoolboy error!

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

A new TAM - that's about right...

Great Apple "Artifact"...

Still letting my Original Mac Mini New In Sealed Box age... :eek:

;)

11. Munchyhammer macrumors member

Tee Hee!

12. RichardOwens macrumors member

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Amazing, for that money you can get a computer that is literally 1000x more powerful! People must really love classic Macs :apple:

14. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Its a TAM - Their rare enough to easily be worth more than a "1000x more powerful" machine. Power isn't everything, especially not with rarities/design classics such as this.

15. cocacolakid thread starter macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

The TAM only had 12,000 made, and supposedly 399 went to Apple, so really 11,601. While they didn't sell like hotcakes the one year they were available, compare those low numbers to how many of any Apple product they produce now.

Then add an LCD display for a desktop years ahead of other Apple products, a keyboard with a trackpad on a desktop (plus italian leather palmrest), a kick ass Bose sound system, and it's the first Apple product Jonny Ive designed (previously I read he had designed things like printer trays, etc.), and it's got quite a following.

A regular working TAM that doesn't have the box and all accessories is in the $800-1000+ range, and double that if it does have all of the accessories/boxes. And there were several upgrades possible that also add to the price if included.

Sometimes I've seen some on eBay that are missing the keyboard and Bose subwoofer, which also has the power supply inside, meaning they can't even be turned on and used. Those still sold for $500.