Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
What's up Mcrumors fam, I'm just wondering how bad this year's 'Brown' leather case will Patina. I've seen some horrible 'x' months later pictures and videos of both. One can only imagine the new case will be the same?

Shout out to imp3rator For the gif

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Safe to say lighter colors will not patina well with the sharper edges of these phone designs. The 12 model Saddle Brown cases aged poorly compared to older model cases, and I’d expect this Golden Brown color to age poorly as well.

Darker color leather cases will age better, or at least mask the edge darkening better, with these sharp edge designs.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
What's up Mcrumors fam, I'm just wondering how bad this year's 'Brown' leather case will Patina. I've seen some horrible 'x' months later pictures and videos of both. One can only imagine the new case will be the same?

Shout out to imp3rator For the gif

If the new cases are "painted" like last year's, then yes, they will look horrible. They do not patina. The paint simply peels off. I had one and returned it a few weeks later when I realized that my dreams of patina were never going to happen with the 12 cases. I bought a Bullstrap leather case instead and it is aging and patina-ing beautiful, as one would expect for real leather. Anyone suggesting that "all leather darkens" when referring to the Apple leather cases does not know what they are talking about. Apple leather: painted or coated, whatever term you want to apply, in an acrylic color (I know this because I used the universal acrylic solvent - alcohol - in one spot on my Apple leather case - and it removed it just like it does with acrylic paint.) They also do not show any variation in color like real leather. Real leather cases (like my Bullstrap) - may be stained with a color for appearance but clearly shows variations like any skin-based material will. Also, real leather, unpainted leather, smells like leather. The Apple cases do not smell like leather.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
My 1ST Saddle Brown 12 PM case I picked up - I think back in April, this started turning black in just 4 days around the Volume and Power buttons, it was returned to Verizon.

I did try another Saddle Brown from Target in June . That one held up much better for whatever reason. Mid Sept...very slight darkening on the edges...but not black like the first case.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Apple switched to lower quality leather supposedly to make them both cheaper and less likely to get gross. But the old Napa leather was way nicer for patina imo.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I used my California poppy for probably two weeks total and I’m not a dirty person but this is the result. The marks wouldn’t come off no matter what I tried.

Attachments

• F374E0D4-658F-4717-B8E3-423C7189CC05.jpeg
    F374E0D4-658F-4717-B8E3-423C7189CC05.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 252

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
I used my California poppy for probably two weeks total and I’m not a dirty person but this is the result. The marks wouldn’t come off no matter what I tried.
Thanks brother. Ok, I may have to go midnight or dark Cherry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.