How hot can macbook pro get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kronie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have noticed my unibody gets considerably hotter with the 9600. The whole left palmrest and speaker grill is warm, almost hot to the touch.

I'm worried because I just bought a 22" monitor (not here yet) and I plan on using the 17" in clam shell. I don't want to melt the glossy screen or cook the laptop.

How hot is too hot? When should I be worried about damage? Today is a hot day. Its 75 degrees F. outside. I have a second monitor running and a handful of programs, PS, Firefox, Word, Acrobat, Entourage, Itunes.

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

there is a lot of debate about this. some ppl say that they run their computers at 80-90C. but for me i dont like letting it get hotter than 60C. i run my MBP with an external monitor closed and keep it super cool with this Cooling Pad.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats about 60C, thats cold, your fine. If it gets to 90C (194F) then you need to begin worrying, but even then its not that hot, i regularly push mine over 100C(212F).

4. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Do those cooling pads work on a unibody? I thought they wouldn't work very well because the intake and exhaust are on the back side of the laptop not on the bottom.

5. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

What? 212F? Are you serious? That's way to hot! You could put the kettle on your laptop for some tea!

6. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

It shouldnt really be above 90C for extended periods of time. I believe the max operating temp of the processor is around 100C.

Temperature is an important factor in HDD and other component failure as well.

7. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Actually they should work pretty well because the cooling pads will draw heat away from the hot aluminum underside of the computer. I know with my old Powerbook Titanium they worked really well.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the cooler the better. there is just no reason to let your computer run hot. and that cooling pad works really well. keeps my MBP 10-15c cooler.

9. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

So I'm about 34 degrees cooler on the 9400. Does that sound right?

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that doesnt sound right. is that the temp when they are both idle? or while you are doing something graphic intensive. mine only shows about a 10 degree difference. im talking celsius btw. if you are talking Fahrenheit that would be about a 20 degree difference.

11. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Second monitor running and PS, Firefox, Word, Acrobat, Entourage, Itunes....just open, not doing anything:

9600=145F
    9400=111F

I haven't tested Idle with nothing open but I will.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

like i said to me that is a little high. but the idle test will definitely tell if something is wrong.

also some ppl will tell you that this is in the normal operating range which it is but heat is a bad thing so you should definitely get a cooling pad.

13. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well my MBP gets VERY hot when I'm rendering using the 9600m GT. My temporary desk is made of that fake wood crap, and when I'm using the 9600m GT, it makes the wood bubble up, and pretty big bubbles, too.

14. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

How do you check the temperature of the laptop? I have Statpro, but there are like 10 different temps. Which one are you guys talking about?

15. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

Ice Pack

I don't have the uni MBP, but I have a 2.4 Alubook and it gets up to around 160 when I am encoding a DVD and running safari and itunes. If the cooler the better, put some ice cubes in a ziploc bag, then double bag it. After that, put the 'book on top of the bag.
    Kidding aside (i have done it before), that is really hot.
    What GPU are you using, the 9600M?

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the cpu temp is the main one that you should be watching. after that northbridge gpu and mem controller.

17. Goettel macrumors member

I would really recommend that you use Fancontrol, there is a special MB-MBP version that has a few tweaks to it. It can be found here.

Before, handbraking with the 9600gt would bring it to 95°C before the fans reacted, now I have it set to start increasing the rpm from 55°C and slowly climb upwards. Now it will not go over 73°C even with CPU (Handbrake) and GPU (google earth and itunes visualizer) working full throttle.