How hot did the 2.16 15" MBP run?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akm3, Sep 12, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

Anyone have a comparison on how 'hot' the old x1600 Core (1) Duo macbook pro models were?

Were they the models that gave the MBP the repuation for being scorchers? I believe that was called 'Yonah' at the time.

I can get a really good deal on one, which I can hold onto until the new-new one finally releases, so I'm throwing that around. Any other widespread issues from this generation?

2. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I have one of the core duo MBPs (with the x1600, etc). they were known for being scorchers... mine right now, with iTunes and Safari open, is running at 142F (61C) for the CPU temp and 133F (56C) on the GPU. you decide if thats too hot. its not too bad I find, and I can use it on my lap as long as I'm not playing HD vidoe (then it gets a little warm).

some machines exhibit a faint whining sound when the processor idles, but for the most part are pretty good I think. mine is, anyway.

3. mklprc macrumors newbie

get SMC FanControl

I initially suffered at the hands of the MacBook Core Uno (1st generation) overheating repeatedly. Apple replaced the motherboard twice and, later, the HD from heat damage. There were so many bad units clogging up the repair chain it took 3 weeks each time to get the fix. I bet they lost a fortune on that fiasco.

It took months, but finally SMC Fan Control was released which let me set a minimum speed for the fan. This helped immensely and I use it now on my MBP 2.4 Ghz model, even though it's supposed not to need it. I prefer keeping the temperature under 120 at all times to letting Apple's defaults kick in.

I think all of the Mac laptops should be running this, especially MacBooks, which are more insulated and can get hotter as a result.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The highest I've recorded is 46C on areas beneath of the keyboard, and 50C+ (low-temp-burn causing temps) on the top aluminium strip above the keyboard. Not doing anything outrageous either, but with reasonable CPU stress.

Stress both CPU and GPU? Better hope your desk is fireproof...

In terms of underside, I believe I was able to get readings of 40C in 25C ambients - no, not off the underside of the computer, but off the desk, a full minute after the computer was removed.

Undoubtedly, even among the piles of crud that the multiple Macbook Pros have been for me, the Yonah-chipped variants took the cake as the cruddiest of the crud. It still remains the only laptop I've had that developed a droop (and I'm not talking about the very common slight warping of the screen that's still unresolved on current models) on it's own accord (the 17" one).

As for smcFanControl it's a necessary utility (for most Macs in any case) - but the price of having the laptop merely worryingly hot as opposed to scorching was that it turned into the loudest machine in everyday use I'd encountered to date if I wanted the cooling to genuinely have an effect. Still, if you keep the usage very light and the RPM at 3K - the highest level that isn't hugely intrusive noisewise - it shouldn't inconvenience you too much.

5. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I'm planning heavy duty usage. I thank everyone for their feedback, I think I'll pass on this deal and wait longer for the refreshes.