HOW hot does the non-penyrn macbok pros get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TK B$K, Mar 30, 2008.

1. TK B$K macrumors 6502

I keep hearing these crazy storys of people with their macbook pros on their lap and the thing just burns their legs up! I want to know if it actually is very noticeable, since i am in the market for a 17" santa rosa macbook pro, and i want to use it on my lap.

any help? thanks!

2. cmm26red macrumors regular

Having switched from a Merom to a Penryn MBP, the older model would leave 1st degree burns on my thighs (red spots that burned afterwards). The Penryn on the other hand, does not give me any discomfort when I use it on my lap!

3. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

so the last one before penryn was meron? or santa rosa? dang the heat sounds bad :(

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's gotten to 85 degrees Celsius when I first got it. After swapping out the thermal paste it has dropped to around 77 max. It usually idles around 45.

5. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

goddd thats really hot :( ive just seen soo many really good deals on some non penryn macbooks, but i want to use it on my lap and on a desk. How hot is it on like a full load?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry, I missed the part where you said non-Peryn. I have Peryn machine. FYI I can use it my my legs and it doesn't not burn. I did have the older Merom and it was pretty much the same. Just don't use it on your bare thighs. It will have no issues on your desk.

7. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you think it would be not on bare skin but on pants? or jeans?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I usually wear jeans or pants when I have the computer. If I have bare skin, it's not when the computer is on full load; there isn't much that puts the CPUs at full load anyways.

9. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, so i should be fine unless im converting some huge High Def movie files nude. Because as much as i would like to get the new penryn ive just been seeing so many better deals for the gen right before it!

10. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had all models of MBP and penryn is by far the coolest and most comfortable to use. Even if you'll be *fine* with the older ones, it's not nice to use such hot laptops - especially not when summer arrives. You can get the latest penryn 2.4ghz for $1813 after rebate from amazon.com with no tax. That's a great deal in my opinion and probably just a little bit more than getting a previous generation unit.

Good luck with your choice!

11. Maxxx85 macrumors member

Lol seriously. Mine gets to about 180f* in all seriousness. (At that point I run to the phone take out a new home insurance policy and then leave it on my rug and go away for a few days). Yea that was a ****** attempt at a joke if the Feds are looking.

12. Carlog200 macrumors newbie

I just got my hands on a dicounted 2.4 SR Macbook Pro. I was also worried about overheating it with all the gaming I do. It is perfectly cool when web browsing and using productivity programs. The hot spots are on the back left and right sides at the vent. When using intensive games such as crysis I do notice slight discomfort on my lap and usually set it on a desk with something propping up the rear of the notebook for better airflow and cooling. Crysis is the most demanding game out right now and as long as there is adequate airflow it does not get hot enough to cause any pain.
    Also, my 15" barely fits on my lap. I doubt you will be using a 17" comfortably.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

Just to clarify, Penryn and Merom are the processors. Santa Rosa is the platform. The current MBPs have Penryn processors and the Santa Rosa platform, whereas the previous gen MBPs had the Merom processors.

I'm a first time MBP user, so I really have nothing to go on, but from what I've read the Penryns run noticeably cooler than the Merom MBPs due to a lower power consumption and smaller processor size.

14. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help. Now i have a question on to go with a Refurbished Meronm 17" for 1,999$

or a new Penryn 15" simplest one for $1,959

i really would like to use this computer in my lap so which one would be better?

thanks!

15. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I would say the 15" just for the size alone. I never used a 17" but I can barely fit a 15" on my lap.. the 17" would be huge. It isn't a laptop (well it is..) at that point to me.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 15" is more usable. The 17" is kind of big when used on your lap.

17. a4abt macrumors regular

My non-Penryn gets to a maximum of 80c ... although it happened only a few times. Usually, it idles at around 40c. I converted DVD to an Apple TV format this weekend, the whole process took 40 minutes and the temperature never exceeded 60c.

I don't know hot cooler the Penryn run compared to my model, but I consider my model very acceptable temperature-wise!!

18. kwfl macrumors 6502

if i were you, i would get the penryn, way cooler.
    i have a santa rosa but tried the penryn with my friend.

19. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

and there were some pretty good differences?

20. Blubbert macrumors 6502

My old Yonah could easily go over 90C when doing full processor work. The highest it has gone was 96C... Usually, however, it would idle at around 53-55C, and around 86-90C when on full load.

21. Zel macrumors regular

mine is an SantaRosa, the one before Penryn.

It gets very very hot, I cannot consistently use it on my lap. I use it as a 'pro' machine, I use the processor a lot, crunching numbers or 3d work and stuff like that that generally needs a mouse anyway. I use it on a desk or coffeetable exclusively.

I can surf web in bed with the device up on my knees if there is a few layers of blanket insulating my knees and I switch legs every few minutes to let the other cool off.

Srsly, it's bad.

Or keep it on a desk, since it is a workstation.

22. TK B$K thread starter macrumors 6502

god this sounds soo bad!!!

I really want a 17" for the screen but at the same time I dont want to cook my legs off.

Alright say I were to use. 17" non-penryn on a desk. Does it get hot on top like the keyboard pretty bad?

23. Carlog200 macrumors newbie

There is little to no heat that escapes from the keyboard. It is all concentrated on the back left and right corners. If you prop up the back even 1/2 an inch it will keep your laptop significantly cooler. It only heats up when there is no airflow underneath it.

24. skorpien macrumors 68020

Here's something I've been wondering for some time. There was this collapsable laptop tray I saw at WalMart that has two usb powered fans that constantly blow air (or suck air away) from the bottom of the computer. Has anybody used one of these and are they effective for keeping your lap/computer cool? The WalMart up here doesn't have a dedicated computer section let alone a knowledgeable enough staff to ask.

25. dap1215 macrumors regular

I sometimes have flames and smoke coming outta mine. People keep telling me I need to do something about it, but I think apple knows what they are doing, so I'm gonna wait for a new cooler firmware to come out and it should be fine! :cool: