How hot does your MBP get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael CM1, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I am mainly asking this to see if the new USB fan I bought is working better or if I'm just imagining it. I had a 2-fan one that cost me $6. I broke one of the fan blades, and I also wanted extra USB ports. So I bought a new one today for $20 that has 3 fans and 4 USB ports.

Before I used any fans, I can recall my CPU temperature topping 170 degrees, maybe hitting 178, on the readings with iStat during a HandBrake encode process. I have been using HB for a couple of hours now with the CPU usage at 190 percent (out of 200 percent for 2 CPUs, if you didn't know). The temperature has pretty much stayed near 165 degrees. As my sig says, this is a 2.16Ghz unit that I bought in April 2007.

Hope to hear back from some people. I really hope I haven't pretty much wasted $26 on something that just makes me feel better. :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe with the 2.16 GHz version they were still using too much thermal paste, so you might want to look into replacing that.

3. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Mine gets to about 160 degrees F running Firefox (with 25+ tabs), iChat, VMWare Fusion 2.0 (windows xp pro), and iTunes

2.4GHz SR