How Hot Does Your 'New' iPad Get

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeM87, Jul 4, 2012.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey,

Just purchased the new iPad and i'm just wondering how hot yours gets. Mine feels quite warm after 30-40 minutes of use is this normal?

My first gen iPad gets warm but not as much as this I would say. Would this be due to the retina screen?

Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mine gets warm, but never hot. Then again, I don't play GPU intensive games.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have not noticed mine getting particularly warm during use
    However, my use is typically reading books, checking email, iMessage

4. MacJones macrumors 6502

Mine doesn't even get warm. Purchased it last week.

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Depending on what apps you use, it can get hot. Warmth is normal though.

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Unfortunately it doesn't get hot enough to warm us Brits during our **** summer.

Barely gets warm, even when playing infinity blade 2 for an hour. If you want to heat it up a bit more whack the brightness to 100% and play 3d games in a hot humid environment.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

8. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I play games on mine, such as GTA3, Infinity Blade and other 3D GPU intensive games, and mine only ever gets warm which is normal/understandable. Never hot.

9. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

Quad-Core graphics + More LED backlights are to blame, and have also heard that the heat sink is now aluminum as opposed to plastic, so much more heat escapes through the shell. Noticed it more when I first got it, and would be playing on it for hours at a time. Would describe it as similar to a luke-warm coffee mug feeling at the most.

10. shortcrust macrumors 6502

The line between warm and hot is very subjective. I would say that when playing games mine sometime verges on hot. It can be warm enough to make my hands a bit sweaty but I never really uncomfortable. I can't say it bothers me too much, but if my next one stays cucumber cool it will be a bonus!

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples fundamental focus is form over function. Whether it's an iPad or laptop, it's all the same.

You'll notice in the forums there's a lot of questions about heat. It's about stylish products first with Apple.

If it gets hot, it's genuine Apple.

... and yes mine gets hot :)

12. jojoba macrumors 68000

Mine gets warm (not hot) if I use it a lot for games. Otherwise, never gets warm or hot.

13. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Thanks guys. My brightness is at 100% and it gets warm so i guess thats normal.

:D

14. cdf3 macrumors newbie

Mine gets warm in the lower left on the rear side of the unit.
    I haven't noticed it since putting it in a case.

15. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Turn it down to 50% and it doesn't get hot at all, even when playing games. The battery life is greatly improved as well.

16. chokem macrumors 6502

If I'm gaming on it for an extended amount of time, it does get pretty warm. Much more than my iPad 1, but I wouldn't describe it as hot.

17. jogales macrumors member

According to my infrared thermometer, mine will top out at about 100ºF, but that's after playing a graphics intensive game with the brightness way up and the heat is only in a small spot. It's no warmer than my 4S gets, and my MacBook gets way, way hotter.

In short, just use it like normal and don't sweat it (no pun intended) :)

18. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

What's with the influx of heat threads again? I thought everybody already agreed that the iPad most certainly cannot reach a harmful temperature, even at max brightness while playing infinty blade 2.

19. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Mine gets noticeably warm, but not hot, even with light use. Playing games does make a bit of difference around the CPU area, but thats all. No biggie as I expected it to be warmer.

20. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Mine is fine until I play games on it. Then the temp rises and the battery sinks....

21. pat park macrumors 6502a

22. Benson11 macrumors regular

Benson11

Try to reduce your brightness and avoid the unused apps.Hope so it will work.

23. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

24. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

My one got warm once, but that's because I was playing Modern Combat 3 for like..1hr..? That's expected on any device.

Other than that, I've had no over-heat issues as the others have had. Which is weird, because I was expecting it to heat up with the amount of complaints I heard. But I have no heat issues what-so-ever.

25. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff