how hot is hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paenguin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. paenguin macrumors member

paenguin

Hi Guys,
    just wondering what temp does the fan normally kick in, if it does?
    any chance i can set the temp threshold on it?
    i have smcfancontrol, but all it does is have the fans set at a certain value, regardless of the temp. or am i wrong?
    thanks! cheers!

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

SMC sets the lowest speed that your fans will run at. It does nothing to stop them from going faster if they need to (unless you are already at the max).I try to keep my MBP at 120-140F (50-60C). I'll let it go higher if I am ripping/burning cds/dvds or if I am doing some heavy CS3 work.

3. paenguin thread starter macrumors member

paenguin

thanks for the fast one. when does it go high? does the MBP have a temp sensor that speeds up the fans when it gets too hot for it?

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Use SMCFanControl to speed up the fans if you want a cooler machine.

5. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

It has several on key components on the inside. I also suggest getting iStatPro (widget) so you can monitor temps.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Yes it does (all Apple portables do). However, some older laptops (first gen MBPs manufactured in the first 20 weeks, in particular) have this set too low, and as far as I know, no software update has fixed this. I have a MBP 1.83 from Week 15 whose fans rarely kick in, even when the machine gets unacceptably hot (75C+, for example, when the charging circuit is active). This is the kind of situation that SMCFanControl is good for.

However, barring any specific problems with your laptop, you should leave things as they are. If it's working properly, the hardware inside the machine is smarter about its own temperature and tolerances than you are. If you go diddling with fan speeds on your own for no reason, you will end up with a cooler laptop, yes. But: 1) That may not actually be the problem you think it is in the first place, and 2) you will degrade your battery's performance.