How hot is the new Macbook Pro (no pun intended)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NavySEAL6, Feb 18, 2009.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I'm looking to get a new computer and pretty much everything is on the table right now. I own the original Macbook Pro, and one reason I'm inclined to not get another is because it gets way too hot to keep in my lap. Ive noticed macbooks tend to not have that issue. Does the new MBP stay cool enough to use on your lap comfortably?

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

As long as the processor or graphics chip isn't being hounded, the machine should stay fairly cool. Of course, as mentioned over a million times, SMC Fan Control can take care of a lot of heat problems. The 17" MBP will probably run cooler than the 15", simply due to more aluminum to dissipate the heat, as well as slightly bigger fans inside. You can get a decent laptop cooler for around $10 - $50 if you want to keep your current MBP. Take a look at these ones.

3. otis123 macrumors 6502a

mine is on fire when i game on it, i gotta crank the SMC fans before i boot into windows otherwise everything will crash. Apple computers have always ran hot, my ibook G4 was a space heater, i also read the apple III didn't have a fan just because Mr. Jobs hates fan noise, kinda similar to today.

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Lol, hating fan noise. I can sympathize, but if the noise gets disruptive then crank up the volume, use headphones, or something else besides removing/turning off fans.

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I had a 2.16 MBP. I will say that the new unibody is a joy to use "heat-wise" compared to the 2.16.

Buy it, get on with life.

6. n8236 macrumors 65816

I owned the first gen MBP and due to complications, Apple gave me a UMBP. The experience difference is quite drastic.

Keyboard: It takes a bit getting used to, but once your muscle memory and fingers get used to the new kb, it's a dream to use.

Build: Unlike the prior MBP, the unibody build process makes handling the machine much sturdier. It just feels solid. The old MBP was comprised of multiple pieces and felt flimsy. It had too many borders and such.

Trackpad: It's SO smooth and wonderful to use. You won't miss the one on the original MBP.

Screen: I get a ton of complements on how bright, nice and clean (not physically) my screen is. I've also found it to be easier on the eyes. The border-less frame is so gorgeous too!

Performance: I came from the first gen. mbp, so for me, it was a huge boost in performance. And I really enjoy playing games.