How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbsmithmac, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

I am reviving an old G4 MDD 867Mhz to be a file server for the home. Being that the MDD is very loud (I know I can quiet it some) I was going to put it in the garage. That said my climate ranges from 20 deg F in the winter to about 95 deg F in the summer.

I imagine that this machine would be running most of the time....so would this environment kill it?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I doubt it, but that's just my opinion. I have a PowerMac 6500 I have in my garage which I run from time to time during the summer. I live in Phoenix, so we have several solid months of 110+ heat. It's never failed to run on those days.

I would say though that my garage is closed all the time. It always seems to be a few slight degrees cooler than actual outside because it's closed up.

3. ThunderSnake, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Are we talking about the actual temperatures in your garage? I've never run an MDD in those extremes, but here are some things that you can do to help with cooling...

1. If it has never been done on this machine, apply some fresh thermal compound to the CPU. If you've never done this before, use the kind that does not conduct electricity. I like Arctic Silver MX-4.

2. Install CHUD and enable nap mode (it's best to create a script to do this automatically each time the computer is booted). This will make a HUGE difference.

3. Additional fans if needed. I have one extra 80mm fan between the CPU and the back of the case to vent hot air from both the CPU and GPU. IMHO, this is better than slot coolers which work against the intended airflow of the machine. It's possible to mount two 60mm fans in this space and two more in the front behind the nostrils. Before getting carried away with extra fans, download Temperature Monitor to see what is actually needed. 62C is considered the high end of normal operating range. I keep mine clocked and fanned so that it never gets above 50C.

I don't know what to say about the other side of your temperature extremes. I'd be worried about condensation if going back and fourth between subfreezing and operating temperatures. I suppose humidity plays a role there, but I really wouldn't know what to expect. Even water droplets that form through condensation can eventually self-ionize to the point that they conduct electricity.

4. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

One additional thing for your situation if the above suggestions don't get you under the mark in the summer:

You could get a 1.25GHz CPU module and run it on your 133MHz bus at 1GHz (no PLL modification needed). For all intents and purposes, this would be downclocking a module rated to run at a higher frequency than your current CPU. You can find these on eBay for $30 or so.

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

6. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all....I don't think I mentioned but it is running Ubuntu.

I had the g4 tower and no hd...so a hd and Ubuntu went on it.

That make any difference?

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Regardless of what OS you run it's the same hardware running it. OS X is far more optimized for that hardware and will perform better.

So to answer your 2nd and now sort of redundant question.. no it won't make a difference. Computers have fans for a reason.

8. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!!!!!