Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I just bought a LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series. I got the 1 TB 7200 RPM version. Like many other users have stated, the thing is loud. Obviously, the drives make a whirrrrr and that's to be expected. But, the fan is very loud. So, I opened the drive up and disconnected it, again, like others have done. Now, I'd just like to know how hot is too hot for this thing? After a good hour of use it's leveled out at a pretty warm temperature. Think of how hot the unibody of a MacBook Pro gets under work and that's how hot the drive is. Should I be concerned at all? Are the drives at risk of failure at this temperature? Overall, it's only slightly hotter without the fan than with. If necessary, I could probably superglue the fan's connecters back into place.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Without exact temperatures, it's impossible to know if they're "too hot", but it's quite normal for drives, power adapters and computers to become extremely hot to the touch during use. I understand your concern about the noise, but I wouldn't recommend disconnecting the fan, as it's used to keep temps in a safe operating range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.