How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Link00seven, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Link00seven macrumors regular

Hello all,

I just got my new Referbished Macbook Pro. Runs like a dream. My question is just, how hot is too hot? I know laptops tend to run hot (I'm used to that from my old Toshiba & iBook G3) but I just want to know if/when I need to worry about heat, especially since this computer is going to replace my tower as my primary computer (thus its going to be used a lot.)

Thanks.

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

On my Pb i think anything 140F or more is "hot"... that's when the fans start at full strength.

3. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. Right now I'm running Safari, Adium, and downloading a 3.5 GB file (so my computers been on for awhile) and my CPU Cores are registering at about 125.6F. I can change it to check a bunch of different things but this is my first primary laptop so thats why I asked.

Any heat management software you guys recommend? I'm using a widget that monitors many heat sensors on my MBP.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive hit 90 deg celcius on my mb when using handbrake

mb works great still

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

172F was my max. That was when I was editing a video, and had my eclipse IDE open at the same time. My fans were on at about 4022 rpm.

6. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Ah okay then I wasn't sure when exactly too hot was too hot, and I am getting a bit of an idea now.

7. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

i got my new MBP saturday and mine hasn't even felt warm yet!

right now the highest temp on my MBP is 124F and thats the gpu.

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

My penryn Mb is the same way. It's amazing :)

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I have gotten to 188*F when I was converting stuff through Handbrake/iMovie/iSquint.

10. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Haha. I hit that high when I'm using handbrake also. I just turn on my fans to 4500rpm and it will cool the cpu down to 42C. Kinda ridiculous to see my cpu at 100% and on hit 42C.

-JoE

11. wk127001 macrumors member

I would begin to worry if iStat reports anything higher than 70 degrees Celsius on your CPU. Also I realize many of you are used to using Fahrenheit for your units but Celsius is the preferred unit of measurement for CPU temps.

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

For most core 2 duo's I think the maximum temperature they are supposed to operate at is 85c, since thats the tjunction. Some have 100c tjunctions though. When you reach tjunction the computer shuts down, and when you get close to tjunction it throttles down automatically to cool itself off to try and avoid max temperature.

This is what happens to intel processors when they get too hot: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9AQmuUEDxGI

You dont have to worry about heat destroying the processor anymore. But obviously you dont want it to be so hot that it throttles itself.

13. engles macrumors regular

it is suggested that you keep the computer under 120º F get smcFanControl to speed up fans if its getting hot... I usually am at around 100º to 120º but if something intensive it can get up to 170º which could cook an egg...