Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
There are a lot of various threads on this,

but mine runs 51-53 idle (plugged), 47-49 idle (unplugged, I am assuming from a downclocked GPU) 69-70C under load (given time for the fans to compensate automatically, not by any utility).

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
plugged in and under normal use (Internet, music) mine runs at about 55ºC.

edit: i have a Core Duo.

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
42C-46C - plugged in with safari, adium and mail running.
38C-42C - unplugged with the same apps running.

p.s. no fan control.

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
at this current moment my core duo 2.16ghz with firefox and adium open.
CPU A 88deg c
Heatsink A 39deg c
GPU Heatsink 70deg c
Heatsink B 43 deg c
GPU 59 deg c

doesnt look good
battery was fully charged 5 mins ago and now its saying 1hour 12 left:S
that was on my bed. try on desk see if that cools it down.

if not looks like i will be ring apple care.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
C2D 2.33
under light load 50-54 C
Under heavy load, highest was 69 C

today is the first day I have been running in clamshell mode, and have noticed it runs 2 degrees cooler this way (so far).

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
at this current moment my core duo 2.16ghz with firefox and adium open.
CPU A 88deg c
Heatsink A 39deg c
GPU Heatsink 70deg c
Heatsink B 43 deg c
GPU 59 deg c

doesnt look good
battery was fully charged 5 mins ago and now its saying 1hour 12 left:S
that was on my bed. try on desk see if that cools it down.

if not looks like i will be ring apple care.

using your computer on a bed without any type of stand will definately have a higher overall temperature than if used on a desk. Its like running your laptop with insulation around it especially when a lot of the heat is dissipated through the actual case. You can also check proper contact visually, by just looking through the rear vents (C2D, with bigger vents). From my perspective, it looks like there is quite a "gap" between the die and the heatsink.

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
but the issue was i had only had it on my bed for literally a couple of minutes. having said that it had been on my desk with the screen saver on for a few hours.
Temperatures and battery life are looking a bit better today on my desk.
Todays temps are:
CPU A:60deg c
Heatsink A:35deg c
GPU Heatsink:57deg c
Heatsink B:36deg c
GPU:50deg c

Laptop is proped up at the back to try better airflow.but really i shouldnt have to do that being a "lap"top.
What should the battery life be on a mbp core duo. bought in august.64 charge cycles. longer than 2.5hours on full brightness with only firefox and adium open????

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Laptop is proped up at the back to try better airflow.but really i shouldnt have to do that being a "lap"top.
What should the battery life be on a mbp core duo. bought in august.64 charge cycles. longer than 2.5hours on full brightness with only firefox and adium open????

yes, even a couple of mere minutes could cause a temperature increase. The computer is constantly emitting heat. Putting on a insulated surface such as a blanket would increase temps in a matter of minutes. You can confirm it by watching the temps through a utility. It is also caused by the MBP "sinking" into the blanket, partially covering up the vents.

by the way, apple does not consider these "laptops" but "notebooks"
60C sounds about right, my friend's CD idles at the same temp. I introduced him to smcfancontrol since. Through that many cycles, i think 2.5 is still around the average battery life. I get about 3 hours doing stuff that one would do during a lecture (firefox, possibly itunes, word) at half brightness. i'm calibrating tonight.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
with FF, adium, mail.app and itunes running, my MBP is usually at 56-58. it'll go up to 65 after FF is open for a couple of days.

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
so you wouldnt ring apple?
how often do you calibrate, i havent calibrated it since i got it.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
so you wouldnt ring apple?
how often do you calibrate, i havent calibrated it since i got it.

"The battery has an internal microprocessor that provides an estimate of the amount of energy in the battery as it charges and discharges. The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate. With all iBooks and PowerBook G4 computers except the aluminum PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), you should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months thereafter."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

considering it's a CD, you need one bad. make sure to follow the Macbook/Pro instructions. They're different than the powerbooks.

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
Some of you guys are running quite hot.
I have Fetch, Adium, Safari, Preview, Thunderbird, Camino, InDesign, Fireworks and iTunes running right now and the temp is 48C (it is sitting on iCurve though)

I had a MBP 2.0Ghz CD, 2GB, 256MB VRAM before and the temperatures were very similar (it felt warmer though), but I used smc fan control then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.