How hot should it get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikey B, May 26, 2008.

1. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I've noticed my iPhone is getting a little hotter than I thinks should be acceptable. I imagine some heat is normal, but I'm getting a little worried. Its worst when I'm using my belkin car charger and a FireWire wall plug, but it also happens with the USB plug that came with the phone, just not as severe.

Its also getting fairly hot unplugged when I've been using it for a prolonged period of time. I imagine this might be normal?

How hot is too hot?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If it's getting hot enough that you think it could potentially burn you I would bring it to an Apple store for immediate replacement. My iPhone has only become mildly warm under several hours of charging or continuous use... all other times my iPhone does not generate any noticeable heat.

3. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Not as hot as me!.. Lol jk..

Take it to the genius bar, better to get it replaced if there's a problem with it.

4. oranges macrumors member

When you're using it for a long period of time, or when you're on a call, then yes, fairly hot is normal.

I also wouldn't charge the iPhone using FireWire. What can happen is an "overheat of death," or so I've heard on iPhone IRC channels. It's safest to use USB IMO.

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Prior to the iPhone I had a Touch and I had a Belkin car charger/transmitter. When I got the phone I plugged that same device into the iPhone and immediately had the same results as you with the phone heating up very rapidly and the transmitter did not work. I unplugged it right away. A couple months down the road Belkin released an iPhone compatible version of the transmitter and there was no overheating at all.

It is known that Apple changed characteristics of the dock connector and, based on that experience, I'd assume that the connection for audio out wasn't the only thing that changed. I assume that you're experiencing the very same thing.

Using the USB charger I do experience some warmth from charging but nothing as severe as that first experience. It's the nature of rechargeable batteries to heat when they're charging.

6. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Cool. Thanks for the 411. I had the exact same experience, went from a Touch to an iPhone, and figured the accessories would be compatible. I guess not completely!

7. Hovey macrumors regular