How hot should my Mac Book Pro Get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomamon, Oct 18, 2010.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

While using it, I notice it gets awfully hot on the bottom, towards the back. I some times have to take it off my lap when it gets so hot.

I can't imagine this is normal?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Install iStat Pro to monitor the internal temperatures. The aluminum bottom acts as a giant heatsink so it's normal that it gets hot.

3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Depends on what you do on the MBP.

But it always gets hot. The casing is made of Aluminum which absorb heat a lot

Make sure the vent on the back is open and it will be fine.

4. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

According to iStat pro, mine gets:

cpu: ~100-110 on avg, 110-120 on web browsing, 160 on skype (hottest app I've run so far - haven't tried iChat yet). Often falls to 97 on idle or somewhere in the 90's.

Bottom case 3 temps: usually in the high 80's or 90's on idle or web browsing, I forget how hot it measures on skype - just checked on skype, bottom is at 99 degrees, not bad considering the cpu is at 160!

gpu: usually about the same as the cpu.

All temps are in Farenheit (sp?).

Watching a movie on iTunes or Front Row on my lap is not a problem, and does not cook my leg. iTunes runs a couple of degrees cooler than front row (Hellboy II). IIRC the temps watching this movie are approx. 117-122 cpu and 97ish bottom case (sounds hot but it's just warm to the touch). Of course, I don't have the MBP buried into the bed comforter, I'm sure that would cause it to heat up a few more degrees. I usually stretch out the comforter around the MBP to allow it some breathing room, especially at the back for the fans ;)

5. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I think this is exactly why they are not called "laptops" anymore but Notebooks :p