How I beat the system (for now, I hope, at least!)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Arisian, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

All:

Here is what I did. I, like many of you, preordered my iPodTouch the second I could off of Apple.com. This morning at work I did my usual check on macrumors to see what bits of goodness where there for me. Around lunchtime, I start seeing where people have purchased theirs at the Apple store. Thus, I called my local Apple store** to see if they carried it and me remembering why I don’t shop w/ them I gave up. I decided that I could probably drive to Tulsa, OK to find out that a mob of people had all purchased theirs seconds before I walked in the door or I could just wait. I logged onto my Apple account 3 times to see if the status would change and I would be getting my iPodTouch earlier than expected. I was ok with waiting until, for no real reason, I called my local Best Buy to see if they were carrying it and had any in stock as of that moment. The phone conversation went something like this:

Me:
    “Hi Best Buy employee, I think I’m in the wrong department. I’m calling about audio such as ipods and what not, can you transfer me?”

Best Buy Car Guy:
    “Sure, um, let me see if I can do that”

Best Buy Employee #1:
    “Home and Portable audio. How can I help you?”

Me:
    “Hi there, I’m calling to see if you guys by chance have the iPodTouch in stock?”

BBE #1
    “Let me check. *seconds later* We do have them in stock, we just got them. You better hurry down here to get it to if you want it.”

Me:
    “Wow, you really have it? Can I pay you ten bucks to hold it for me? Just kidding”

BBE #1
    “If you give me your name I will hold it for you for an hour.”

Me:
    “Are you kidding me? You can hold it for me? Wow, thanks. Ill be right there”

BBE #1:
    “Just hurry, if someone attacks me w/ a zune I will have to give it up.”

As I was walking out the door of my office, I printed out my orders from Apple and called Apple to see if I could cancel it over the phone. After about 4 minutes I got this super nice lady whom said that she couldn’t cancel it but that she could set it up for immediate return and refund when I get it (She send out a printed return label and I put it on there and it ships immediately and 4 days later they will credit my account). So, I told her that I wanted to do that. It was super easy and now I’m really enjoying my new iPod Touch. Just a word on the audio, there is a lot of high-end frequency coming from it. I just got don’t spending about 500 hours in the studio recording an album and I can tell you that there isn’t really any sound loss, its just a lot of high-end frequencies, I’m very much and audiophile and I’m not disappointed at all. The bass booster EQ helped raise the mid’s a lot and leveled out the highs. Also, if you have an older pair of iPod headphones, consider using those. The mid and low response on them is much better than the new iPod headphones.

Also, do you guys think I should keep the iPod touch when I get it and try to sell it on ebay for some profit, or just return it ASAP?

Let me know if any of you have had similair experiences as well as if this was helpful at all.

Cheers,
    Arisian

**btw, Megabyte Computers of Fayetteville, AR... you guys suck; I've never met a staff that was less knowledgeable than you guys are.and btw, get your damn dogs out of the store, that's sincerely unprofessional. And yes, Apple did make computers before the Intel processors and no, the batteries for them are not the same. ehem... sorry!

2. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

There will be no value greater than retail on the iPod Touch.

3. bektravels macrumors regular

Depends on what's less hassle... if Apple are bastards to return stuff to, I'd ebay it... lets face it you'll make 99% of your cash back on such a hot item on ebay right now.

4. bektravels macrumors regular

For example, I just sold a last gen shuffle on ebay AU for $108.50 (50c less than what they retailed for:D)

5. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

thanks

thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. Im not really worried about it to be honest, Im just glad Im enjoying mine now to be honest

When are you guys going to get yours?

Cheers,
    Arisian

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

My mom is making me wait until my birthday even though I've got a couple thousand that I made this summer... And I'm being told "We might give you money towards the device, but we're not going to buy it for you." A month from monday and you'll find me in the local Apple Store.

Enjoy yours!

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess I fail to see how you beat some system but congrats on your new iPod. Glad it lives up to your "audiophile" expectations.

8. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

sorry

I actually lost my 3G ipod about 6 months ago and decided that I wasnt going to buy a new one until the new ones came out, so here I am w/ 6 months of saving up for one (and a... job) buying it. I sure hope they dont come out w/ a 32 gig version at xmas, because then Ill be pissed

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Getting mine as soon as it hits UK stores! Got the £200 in the bank just waiting to be shoved on Steve Jobs' pockets.

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Woooooow, ****ing Best Buy are getting them before my online order ships?

Boo!

11. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'm glad you got your 'pod, but, uh... I'm sure people were thinking it, I'll say it. You call yourself an audiophile, then say that using the bass booster equalizer setting helped the listening experience?

Its like words don't even have definitions anymore. A preconfigured equalizer is like the antichrist for an audiophile.