How I Broke Apple (the website)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zuwxiv, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Zuwxiv macrumors member

So I order one of the new Santa Rosa MacBooks today, a BlackBook no less. I even went for 4 gigs of RAM.

Which was a mistake. Especially when I saw the prices of mac compatible RAM elsewhere. Anyway, I called up Apple - it hadn't shipped yet, so I figured I could just quickly change the order to 2 Gigs of ram, something they are completely capable of.

If they could do anything to my order at all.

Evidently, although my name did fetch an order, neither my order number nor my credit card info nor phone number could result in a processed order. Despite the order happening nine hours ago in about 10 minutes, my order has yet to be processed.

So the people at :apple: can't change my order, and although I can see it when I check on store.apple.com, I can't click on the "cancel" button because it hasn't been processed. Even then, I don't want to click cancel because I used that $100 off from the iPhone deal, and I'm not sure how to recover that.

Anyway, has anyone had a similar experience? I don't want to wait to tomorrow to see that is has shipped and I can't do anything about it then. I'm left to fanatically checking the account to see when it has been processed and then calling Apple back up. If it doesn't happen in two hours, their phones close.

:(

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You can forget getting it changed. This happened to me with my iMac in August. If the product is going to ship from China, then your order is going to go from processing to preparing for shipment within a very short period of time. This happens because their system (after your order is processed) immediately transmits your order to their factory overseas.

This prevents you and Apple from canceling or modifying your order in any way.

Is the cancel option on your order status page at the Apple Store available? If so, cancel and start over.

Your Apple iPhone credit is processed like a gift certificate and doesn't get redeemed until your order has been processed. I just went through that with Leopard last week.

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

if it's not opened can't you return it w/o restocking fee?

Even if you pay the restocking fee though it's probably still more expensive that buying ram elsewhere.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Nope. His order is considered built-to-order because of the RAM upgrade. It can't be returned.

5. Zuwxiv thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the quick reply, even if it isn't great news. I'll keep checking my account to see if I get the opportunity to change it... It hasn't given me the option to cancel it because it "hasn't been processed" so I have no options at all but to wait, unfortunately.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Good luck, I know it's frustrating. I was semi-annoyed. But Apple can't hold up other people's orders because you and I have buyer's remorse. :)

Have you called to see if Apple can put a stop order on it?

7. Zuwxiv thread starter macrumors member

No, but that's a good idea. They close in one and a quarter hours, so if I don't see it updated soon I'll give them a call - the problem was, when I called an hour ago they couldn't even see the order, except for the fact that an order had been placed under my name (the order number / credit card were useless).

I'll see what they can do in 30 minutes or so, and thanks again for the help.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You're welcome. Be sure to post here what happens (negative or positive).

9. Anorion macrumors member

*sigh*

I'm having much the same issue. On my first order today, I tried to order a 2.2GHz white macbook, a DVI adapter, and iWork (all separately, so as to keep she shipping time fast). The charge for the software and DVI adapter went through fine, but the macbook didn't. So, I cancel the macbook, wait for the cancellation confirmation, and place another order for the macbook with a different card with a higher limit. Four and a half hours later, my card has still not been charged, nor have I receved a "your order has been confirmed and is being processed" email. For the first order today, that took less than ten minutes...

I know it's not Apple's fault my bank sucks and doesn't confirm that I have balance to cover an incoming expense, but I can't help being frustrated. :(

10. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I haven't been able to access Apple Order Status all evening as it is saying they are doing upgrades on their system. I tried the tracking number that I got on the FedEx site and nothing was found so I don't know if my package actually left Apple or if they just have it in the box. I don't know, even though I did pay for next day shipping it is possible it could get here as late as Monday if it is still waiting to leave Apple. Anyhow else having problems with Apple Order Status today? I haven't been able to access it since 3PM CST.

11. Anorion macrumors member

Working fine for me. Shows my accessories shipped, but still that my macbook has not.

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

There was apparently some glitch in Apple's ordering system today. I ordered my macbook, but never received a confirmation email. I started getting worried at around 5, so I called them. Apparently the only way they could look up my order was by order number... not by any other was (as they typically can). Nonetheless, they assured me that my order had been received.

13. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I've seen a few posts from users reporting that the new MacBooks are missing boot camp on their installation images, maybe Apple is delaying the orders to fix the issue?

14. Anorion macrumors member

I think I will call them myself in the morning. I remember when Newegg upgraded from their (then good) old order management system to their current (really good) system, there were lots of glitches with the automated email system, but they never lost an order. I'm willing to bet that Apple is the same.

But, I still will call.

15. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

If I click on the order number in the email message that I was sent then I get taken to a page that says they are upgrading the system and that has been ongoing since yesterday. However, I was able to go to the store, click on my account, and view the status of my order there. The package was indeed shipped yesterday and is supposed to arrive by 3PM today. According to FedEx it is on the truck out for delivery.

16. Zuwxiv thread starter macrumors member

I just got off the phone with them for the third time. The order evidently just made it into their system, so they notified the manufacturer to change the order. He said they can't guarantee it, but it should be changed.

Every time I've called them, they've been really helpful and polite, even if it was frustrating to have an invisible order. ;)

I'll let you guys know if it actually worked, I hope so. I should receive it on or before the 9th.

17. Samadhi05 macrumors newbie