How I gained 25% more audio on my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Mar 9, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

If your phone is even a few months old, it's going to collect dust in the small holes where the mic and speaker reside.

While sitting in bright sunlight yesterday I noticed there was dirt in the holes blocking the sound coming in and going out. Apple included dust catches on the inside of these holes to keep dust from getting inside the phone, but the problem is that they create more of a problem than a solution. Aside of muffling the audio, they catch and compact dust at an alarming rate until the mesh is blanketed inside with dirt.

Using ifixit's guide to removing the antenna cover HERE, I was able to slide the antenna cover off and start the cleaning process.

Once you slide the cover off, peel the two small black mesh catches off the holes. Grab an old toothbrush and some dish washing soap. With a little warm water mixed in, force the brushes into the holes and brush the holes on the inside and outside to clean them. Dry the cover, forget about putting the dust catches back on..... they create more problem than solution. It won't take any time at all for them to clog the holes again. Stick the cover back on and you'll notice a dramatic increase in your mic and speaker. :)

(click for large view)

dirty
    [​IMG]

clean
    [​IMG]

2. B.A. macrumors regular

Did you use the tools found on that website to remove the cover? Or were you just able to do it with household items?

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. McGiord, Mar 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Can you post a picture of the dust catcher?
    Instead of removing the parts like you suggest, I had used an air can to blow it, did you try that before ?
    ________
    cheap easy vape vaporizer

5. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Exactly... Use some compressed air every once in a while and it will never get like that.

6. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I would be a little bit carefull with the compressed air as there are some very delicate parts in there.

7. Yagyu Jubei macrumors newbie

or you can poke holes with a needle...that works great as well

8. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

neither of those methods work properly. The compressed air blows the dust through the screen into the unit........ and poking holes only opens a small portion of the screen.

9. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

I read this awhile ago and looked at my precious and thought I'd clean up the dust like the topic-starter did. Took me some 10 minutes to get the cover open and clean it -- and and HOUR to try and put it back!
    It's really hard to get the cover back and I had some moments when I thought that I had actually destroyed my precious phone over something so stupid as "cleaning some dust from the holes".

Don't try this if you don't REALLY need to clean it!!

10. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

It just snaps back on..... technique may be an issue for you.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've come across multiple threads with multiple users very excited with how much of a volume boost they got with the hole poking method. My volume has always been fine so I've never felt the need but from what I've read it does make a considerable difference.

People who haven't tried it shouldn't say it doesn't work.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The other technique that makes an incredible volume difference is trimming your ear hairs.

13. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

It was recommended from applecare and the genius bar so good enough for me.
    Were not talking about blasting the air up there anyway, a few slight
    puffs is all it takes.
    Has worked perfectly on all my iPhones.

14. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

If they think poking a small hole in a large screen mesh makes a difference, you should see how much a difference this makes.

These compressed air and poking holes fixes are the equivalent of a laser cleaning disk. Taking it apart and doing it manually always wins.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm not doubting that it does. I imagine most people are just not comfortable with opening up their phone. I, for one, won't do it because I've heard how much of a pain it can be to get off/back on.

16. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

a few puffs of air a couple times a week.
    And there is no reason to take it apart is the point.

Not to mention my warranty is still intact.
    If apple sees the back has been removed you will have none.

So I will stick to my method as mine is plenty loud.

17. kolax macrumors G3

So technically it isn't giving it a 25% volume gain, it is just restoring the volume to the same level as a brand new iPhone with no dust?

18. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope, the stock filters take about 15% and you have a 10% loss roughly from dust over a 3 month period.

19. spetykowski macrumors member

WOW... it actually made me jump when i first heard the volume difference... It is unbelieveably loud... i was very scpetical at first but then, i decided to take it apart and give it a try... i am really happy with the results.. !!! Very Loud and crisp... i was showing it to my friend and actually had to talk very loud to hear each other at full volume while listing to music..!! Great mod..!!!

20. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

SWEET :D I'm an Electrical Engineer that has owned car audio stores. I don't say "try this" when it's related to audio unless it works.... well. :)