How I go about repartitioning

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBelowZero, Feb 25, 2008.

1. iBelowZero macrumors newbie

iBelowZero

Short background:
    I got my intel-based powerbook pro about a year ago and I love OSX so much I realized I wouldn't need my windows partition very much. I allocated it 6 GBs (which is essentially nothing and I cannot save anymore files on that side cause its full). I enlisted in a programming class for ArcGIS this semester. The class uses VB and ArcGIS which only run on PCs. We have free year long student editions of these CDs that I cannot install on OSX. I want to install them on my PC partition but I have no memory.

What can I do?
    • Is it possible for me to repartition without having to completely reinstall everything on both sides of the partition?
    • If not, can I just delete the PC partition and create a new one an only reinstall that side?
    • I am looking at buying a new back-up hard drive, is it possible to store both PC and mac files on that? I know that will my last back up hard drive I could not get this to work correctly.

My first post, so sorry if I am in the wrong place or repeating stuff thats been answered. I tried searching for an answer before posting but couldn't find exactly what I needed.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you partition with Boot Camp? If so, just clone your Windows partition to an external drive, restore to a single partition, make another, bigger one with Boot Camp Assistant, and restore from your Windows clone.

3. iBelowZero thread starter macrumors newbie

iBelowZero

Yeah I used boot camp, it was so long ago I forgot how I did it though. I do not really mind losing anything on the Windows partition though. Not much important over there anymore.

I was hoping disk utility would let me do a partition, but it only lets me do one that is 50/50, which I do not want.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition, then. Then, depending on whether or not you have Leopard, set your clock back and/or repartition to the size you desire. Forget messing around in Disk Utility.

5. iBelowZero thread starter macrumors newbie

iBelowZero

Ok I will try this and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the big help.