How I got an iPad today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by srt4cane, Mar 21, 2011.

1. srt4cane macrumors member

Ok, so like everyone else, I've been scouring the inventory links for best buy, walmart, and target every waking minute of every day. I had given up hope after placing between 40-50 calls to various places to see if they had any in stock. I gave up yesterday and just ordered the exact iPad I wanted (32 gb wifi) online through the apple site. Today on a whim I checked target's inventory links because I heard they were the most accurate...and well....they were. I called a store about 30 min away to see if they really did have some available. The employee said "yes, but just one" and "no, I absolutely can't hold it for you even if you are on your way". I hung up, dejected and angry that I hadn't been more persistent in my inventory calling. I decided to call back and speak to a manager, where I explained that I had been searching for an iPad for a week nonstop and how I would be very grateful if they could just hold it 30 min. She answered "Of course we can, it isn't a clearance item. We would be happy to". Over the phone, I heard her radio the electronics employee who I had just spoken to and ask him to hold the iPad. She asked for my name and informed me that the only one they had left just so happened to be the black 32 wifi, exactly what I wanted. He sounded confused, even asking her if she meant that she wanted to save it for herself. "No of course not, it is for a valuable customer". Sounding disgruntled, he said he would save it. 30 minutes later I arrived and bam there it was. I couldn't find the manager to thank her in person but I was astonished at the superior service I received. Every store I called previously answered with attitude and obvious sarcasm. So that's my story, maybe it will help someone who has given up hope trying to find one locally.

P.S. Shoutout to north Miami beach target and their excellent manager, Michelle!

2. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

You may want to find out who her supervisor is and write them a little letter (you can usually just send it their corporate offices and it'll find the right person) and tell them about the service you got. It can really go a long way for employee's. though I wouldn't mention her specifically saving the ipad for you just in case they really aren't supposed to do that.

3. -iMatt- macrumors newbie

Very cool! Just be glad you didn't order online.

4. EdwardMoffet macrumors member

Wow that's awesome! I'm not even jealous, that's great to hear man, a nice break from a lot of the gloomy negativity. Really, thanks for sharing :)

5. bpear96 macrumors member

My story's very similar

My story is almost exactly the same.. I was searching every where for a iPad 2 couldn't find one anywhere locally.. Was calling every day. So finally I decided to just order it online and wait the 4-5 weeks..but 2 days after I ordered I found the links to check stock online at stores somebody posted on here.. And it worked, it saved me from calling every day and today I looked at the best buy one and sure enough it said they had almost all models Instock.. So I called them to make sure and funny enough on there answering machine it says.. "We are out of stock of iPad 2s "but I talked to a real person and they said they had 15 iPad 2 black 16gb the one I wanted so off I went and now here I am typing this on my new iPad. Oh and by the way the best buy is in Warwick ,ri if anyone's wondering

6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Nice story. You should send the manager a thank you card.

7. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

You need to call that store back, find out when she will be working again, and either hand-deliver yourself or call to have delivered a beautiful floral arrangement along with a written note of thanks. Tell the florist what the occasion is (a thank-you gift, as opposed to a romantic gesture) so that he or she can create a lovely and appropriate arrangement.

honestly, I bet she doesn't get thanked enough and that will just absolutely make her day.

(Be sure to include your name and phone number, in case she's single and interested!)

8. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Love it !! :D

9. srt4cane thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I plan on organizing some type of thank you or recognition for her. Does anyone know how long apple takes to return money to an account once an order is cancelled?

10. boch82 macrumors 6502

You shouldn't have been charged at all until the unit ships. There may be a hold on your account but no money should have been taken out

11. toddngina macrumors member

They don't actually charge you until it ships. Just cancel.

12. cbdudek macrumors member

Please send the manager a thank you card. Its this kind of customer service that should be rewarded. We have too many people who take this for granted, and then get pissed off when things don't go their way.

Aside from that, excellent story. :)

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This mentality is why today's youth are a coddled, entitled mess. People spend $500 on kindergarten "graduations". Women wear tiaras to night clubs like they're in a pageant. Cupcakes are now a food group. And people get flowers for doing what they're paid to do, in the simplest of jobs.

My fiancee is a pediatric resident in an insanely busy NYC hospital. She has never gotten flowers from a patient.

14. flurffmeister macrumors member

There's a difference between just doing your job, and doing more than your job requires, even if it won't get you paid any more than normal, just to make somebody happy. That's worth somebody going out of their way to give thanks. I commend this kind of management, it differentiates this Target from all the other Targets and Walmarts and Best Buys and even Apple stores that either say "nope, we can't hold it, first come first served," or "we can hold it if you pay us some money up front."

15. srt4cane thread starter macrumors member

I was charged immediately after I placed the order, possibly because I paid with a debit card. Hopefully they don't take too long. I agree that she did me a great favor, however, I would have been pretty ticked if I was another customer who got there before and wanted to purchase it. The problem is that the entire format of release was a bungled mess. This whole running around and searching every store in the area was a nightmare. I would be happy with a reservation ticket, even if i'm number 1000 in line, that guarantee's me an ipad when it comes in. They can notify the buyer, and if they don't come in within 48 hours, give the next guy a call. Neither Best Buy or Target was taking reservations in my area

16. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

LOL @ "tiara" observation

17. EdwardMoffet macrumors member

Agreed, there was a lot more they could have done to make the launch smoother. But that's Apple's bad. These are Apple's retail partners, it's their game, their rules. If Apple says it's first come first serve, no preorders, then it is. The complete lack of comment from Apple is very frustrating as well. They haven't said anything in regards to when stock may normalize, what shipping schedules are like, the quotas they're trying to meet, etc. The way they handled this launch is very frustrating for consumers, frustration is NOT something you want to associate your product with.

I agree here, people should be thanked for going above and beyond their normal duties. Whether it's some flowers or a simple thank you note, it's the thought that counts. The manager could've just as easily said "I'm sorry we can't hold it for you, it would be unfair" gave him the standard disclaimer, etc. etc. and would've still been doing her job, but instead she did more than she had to to provide great service. That is deserving of thanks.

18. EdwardMoffet macrumors member

19. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

Every store I called up, they also gave me an attitude when asking if they had ipads in stock.. really no need for it even if you get those calls all day long. Also, I have a feeling the supervisor you talked to really had no idea what the ipad 2 was or its significance so that may be why she allowed them to hold it for you.

20. incongruity macrumors member

There was a time that it was standard to just do your job and not expect anything more than a paycheck. I think that's still a good policy...

HOWEVER, I think it's also really entitled to act, as a customer, as if no gratitude should be given for a job done or a service rendered... Especially when it would take very little effort to be grateful.

Say thanks to those who help you, drive the bus, bring your food. Hold doors for everyone - including employees of whatever business you're entering or exiting. They're still people, even if they're on the job, etc., etc.

The two are not incompatible... so, yes, to the OP - send a letter of thanks, both to the manager and to her supervisor - both will likely do much more good than flowers or anything else.

21. tbayrgs, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Bitter much? I agree on the your first 3 statements but what's wrong with a satisfied customer showing his/her appreciation? I'm fairly certain that what this manager did was not typical service (the 3 Targets that I've spoken too said they couldn't hold an iPad) and because of her action, she's made it much more likely that this customer will turn to Target first for purchases going forward.

And maybe your fiancee has never gotten flowers because none of her patients have felt the same as the OP after she treated them? My wife is a pediatric GI doc and I can't count the number of times she's gotten cookies/flowers/photos/thank you letters or other gifts (club seats for a Bucs game would've been nice but my wife of course turned them down) she's received.

22. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

it's really not that serious

23. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Third party retailers should use launches like this to show superior customer service just like they did above. They obviously don't make much profit per item. But gaining a loyal customer can be almos priceless.

24. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

It's a way of saying thanks. I would agree with you if the manager expected it, but if he is doing it out of generosity, what does it matter?

As a student I was tipped 20$ for suturing up a patient. Expected? No. But it did make me feel like I had done a good job even though it was just my job.

25. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

someone's geliz