How I Got My Free MicroCell..Well, Sorta..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akal575, Jul 11, 2010.

1. akal575 macrumors member

I just got mine today, and I was able to get mine for free, sort of..

This is what I did, whether or not it works for you is really just luck.

Call up ATT and make sure you are nice, but sound frustrated at the same time to the employee. I said that I have been a loyal customer and that I have terrible reception issues in my apartment and its to the point where I drop about 20-30 calls a day and I have just 1 bar of reception anywhere in my apartment.

I told her that I like ATT for the people working at ATT, but despise their reception issues. I also noted that I was only with ATT because I have an iPhone and that as soon as the iPhone is offered at Verizon (if that ever happens), I will be jumping ship because it is unacceptable for me not to get reception in my own apartment.

I then said how I couldn't bring myself to drop $149.99 on a device that pretty much does what I already pay ATT for which is provide me service, and that I shouldn't have to pay them MORE because they have terrible service in my area.

I also threw in how I had been reading online (engadget, gizmodo, and here) how some "loyal" customers had gotten vouchers for free MicroCells and they were able to just waltz into an ATT store and get one for free.

I was polite, yet still came off frustrated, and also tried to make the girl I was working with understand what it is like to be in my situation and how frustrating it is, and luckily it worked.

She was unable to physically send me a MircroCell because she had said that it specifically said in their systems that they were under NO circumstances to give credit/award MicroCells under any means. However because I had presented my issue as nicely and understanding as possible, she credited my bill for 150 dollars, and so when I would go to the ATT store today and buy the MicroCell, it would essentially break-even.

In my case notes she wrote that she was "crediting my account because the customer had complained of reception issues, and has been having this problem for a long time." She then told me she did this just so both she, nor I would get in trouble, or arouse suspicion.

All in all, people like her make me actually not hate ATT as much as I do. The success of getting one of these MicroCells for free is really just based on getting lucky and getting someone who actually cares about their customers. Just make sure to intelligently present yourself and your case. Many people think calling up Customer Service and being a complete ******* will get you places just because you're acting "enraged".

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

2. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

That is also what I'm wondering.

4. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

When I call ATT I either get some of the best Support experiences or the worse.

It really is all about who you talk too.

5. akal575 thread starter macrumors member

Well, theres two options:

Option 1: Buy the MicroCell for 149.99. When you make calls while connected to the MicroCell, the minutes used will count against your minutes you have in your plan.

Example: You are connected to the MicroCell. Say you have a plan of 750 minutes a month, you make a call that uses 10 minutes, this call will count against your plan. You now have 740 minutes left in your plan. Make sense?

Option 2: Buy the MicroCell for 149.99, but also buy the Unlimited Calling Plan on it. The Unlimited Calling plan allows any phones connected to it to have unlimited calls while connected to the MicroCell without it counting towards your monthly plan.

The Unlimited Calling plan is 19.99 a month however when you do Option 2, you get a 100 dollar rebate in the mail, so essentially the MicroCell only costs you $50, however you shelling out $19.99 a month for the unlimited calling plan. Also there is no contract for this 19.99, think of it like the iPad 3G plans where this is no contract signed, you just pay.

So in reality here is a price breakdown:

Option 1 Price: 149.99

Option 2 Price: 50.00 + 19.99 per month that Unlimited Calling is active on the MicroCell

If I didn't get mine for free, I was just going to do Option 2, wait the 8 weeks till I got the $100 rebate, then cancel the unlimited calling plan for 19.99 a month.

This would be the cheapest route to getting a MicroCell

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

why do people keep asking this? no.

aslo op your paying for the hardware. i doubt att is making money off the m-cell.

7. akal575 thread starter macrumors member

So damn true, after she helped me, I was seriously considering asking to talk to her supervisor just so I could tell him/her how helpful she was and tell him/her that she needs a raise/promotion because she is a quality employee.

In hindsight, I regret not doing this because she really did help me out.

8. akal575 thread starter macrumors member

Untrue if you do Option 2, many people, like yourself, do not seem to know this, or aren't being exactly specific.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

who said you have to do that? also i would save money on option 2. my dad uses 700+ minuets at home and i can downgrade my minute plan.

10. akal575 thread starter macrumors member

You do not have to do Option 2, that's why it is called an option, lol.

I personally think it is cheaper to do Option 2 in a lot of ways if you are smart about. Especially seeing it is the only way to get the $100 rebate on the MicroCell.

11. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I just got shot down for one. Haha. I called, was very courteous to the rep, & asked if there was anything she could do. She said the most she could do was credit me a $25.00 amount to my account. She said if I visited my local AT&T store that I might be eligible for a $100.00 mail-in-rebate. I might give that a shot.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You didn't do it because the rep gave you what you wanted whether you truly needed it or not and you were done with her. If you truly wanted to telk her boss you would have either paid attention to her name and called back or called back and asked who was the rep because the call was recorded and fhe details were documented on your account. AT&T can figure out in a matter of minutes who helped you. Sorry to sound harsh but it sure sounds like she served her purpose for you and you couldn't be bothered to take the time to throw her a compliment. This means a lot to a CSR.

I'm glad you got one for free, do you really have reception issues and has it helped?

13. akal575 thread starter macrumors member

You don't sound harsh, like I said before, I truly feel bad that I didn't do that and wish I had taken her name and called back.

On another note, I did legitimately have reception issues around my area and in my apartment. My iPhone displays the first tiny bar while in my apartment and if i get 2 bars outside I am lucky. Which, I probably am getting less than that if Apples whole software fix to address the phone showing the correct amount of bars is true. Which would mean I was actually getting less reception than what was shown.

For me, the MicroCell works amazingly. I have full reception around my entire apartment, and also added my girlfriend on as an authorized line so she also gets full reception.

The setup was extremely easy and it's so much nicer being able to actually make and hold calls, and not have to worry about moving the slightest way and dropping a call.

If you have reception issues like I did in my apartment, I would highly suggest getting one of these. If you can't get a rep to help you like I did, I would suggest doing option 2 which you will be paying 150 upfront, however as soon as you get the rebate, cancel the 19.99 a month for unlimited and it should only work out to costing you $70-$90 for the MicroCell.