How I got my printer working on new macbook pro from my windows 7 homegroup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by christania, May 31, 2011.

1. christania, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

christania macrumors newbie

I just bought a new macbook pro 15” and I had the most horrible time trying to get my printer which is being shared on my windows pc to be recognized and work on my new mac. Since I finally did get it to work I thought I would post what I did and maybe things will work out for you if you are having the same trouble.

A few notes:

1. Bonjour did not work for me whatsoever. No matter what I did the program would not even see the printer in the printers list.
    2. I noticed that some people who did get the method I used to work had problems with mac asking for never ending “Authentication Required” when trying to print. I did too and I found a workaround after much research on the net and added it to the end of these directions.
    3. This is for people who have their printer hooked up to their main windows pc. I use windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Make sure your printer is shared on windows.
    4. I also did this:
    On the Windows 7 PC
    1. In Windows 7 Control Panel
    2. Select "Programs and Features" pane
    3. Click "Turn Windows Features on or off"
    4. Turn on the LPD protocol.
    5. Ensure printer(s) are shared
    (not sure if this helped, but it was one of the things I did in my attempt to get things running so I added it just in case) anyway........

This method worked for me:
    ****Found at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3049 after googling around, trying different things, etc... There are similar steps on the guide in these forums, but this below is what helped me personally.

Products Affected
    Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS Printing/Fax (any version)
    Mac OS X v10.5 or later
    1. Choose*System Preferences*from the*Apple*menu.
    2. Choose*Print & Fax*from the*View*menu.
    3. Click the*+*button to add a printer.
    4. Press the Control key while clicking the "Default" icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
    5. Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar.
    6. Click Done.
    7. Click the Advanced icon that was added to the toolbar.
    8. Choose Windows from the Type pop-up menu.
    9. In the URL field, type the printer's address in one of the following formats:

smb://workgroup/server/sharename
    smb://server/sharename

Note: "workgroup" is the name of the Windows workgroup that the computer sharing the printer belongs to. "server" is the name of the computer sharing the printer (or its IP address). "sharename" is the shared Windows printer's share name. If the share name contains spaces, replace each space with "%20" (without quotation marks).

Tip: You don't need a "workgroup" when specifying the IP address of the computer (such as when the printer is on a different subnet), or if your Mac belongs to the same Windows (SMB) workgroup.
    10. In the Name field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X.
    11. Choose the appropriate PPD or printer driver from the "Print Using" pop-up menu.
    12. Click Add.

------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, now you may be recognizing your printer and going fine, but if you are getting that nasty “Authentication Required” every time you try to print try this. This worked for me. Just redo the steps above and use the format below for the URL.

Code:
    smb://username:password@computer_name/printer_sharename
    For example: smb://John:1234@HomePC/BrotherHL-2140

Note: The username is the name used for your windows user account and the password is what you sign on to your pc with under that user name when you start it up.
    Computer properties gives you the computer name.
    Printer share name is found by going to the printer in the control panel and viewing printer properties. Click on sharing tab to show it.
    This may be redundant to mention, but not everyone is a guru. :p

Hope this helps. :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thank you christiania - this is most helpful, since I have a mixed network at home (Macs, Windows PCs, and Linux boxen). I hope this sharing procedure gets simpler in Lion, on the Mac end ;)