Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
So in case anyone wants to know:

I already had Windows 7 installed on boot camp. I installed 32bit so it'd run a little faster.

-I booted into the Windows partition and downloaded the 32bit Windows 8 iso directly from Microsoft.
-Made a new folder called Windows 8 on my desktop and extracted contents of ISO into said folder
-Ran setup and chose to keep all my files, settings, etc ("Upgrade" in Win7)
-Installer checked my system and said to reboot. Rebooted, and it started installing
-After installing Win8 previously installed Boot Camp utilities, everything worked just fine. No messed up display, no glitches.

Magic mouse works fine such as right click, etc. (normal win scrolling, not "natural") as does keyboard

I'll post some screenshots when I reboot into the other side. Just thought I would share in case anyone wondered. It worked flawlessly for me

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 397
  • Clipboard02.png
    Clipboard02.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 351
  • Clipboard03.png
    Clipboard03.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 463
Last edited:

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I've noticed a bug in Windows 8 where if you do a clean install and signed in with your Microsoft ID, your name and profile picture will be up in the top right of the Start Screen. However, if you did an in-place upgrade from Windows 7, all you get is your email address and no picture, which I found very annoying.

Other than that, I've been enjoying running Windows 8 and look forward to its release. I've been experiencing hard crashes with it running on my MacBook Pro. I believe it's something to do with one of the drivers because I notice that it does it very often if I'm playing music. Windows 8 works flawlessly on my desktop.

DonCarlos

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Las Vegas
Well glad you got it installed.

I run my Mac Mini exclusively through my TV most of the times and I enjoy having W7 as the second boot, so what is to be gained by running W8?

It's my understanding that it is really designed for touch screens and if that's the case what's the value of it to someone like me other than to say, look I have W8? Maybe I have that wrong so enlighten me and then I'll decide based on the responses.

Thanks

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
It's the cloud features that are really selling it to me. So far, in the Consumer Preview, I can sync my settings, wallpaper, and any bookmarks that I have pinned to my Start Screen between my desktop and laptop, without the need to install additional software or setup.

I think they're also going to integrate Live Mesh into Windows 8, so I'll be able to sync documents without the need to install that application to make it happen. And I believe that they'll integrate SkyDrive, which I use quite frequently to keep my OneNote documents on and other files.

I also like the Live Tiles too. I use Windows Phone and I find that Live Tiles very useful, like calendar events, as it saves me from having to jump in and out of applications to find information that I frequently need to get at. Being able to pin folders to the Start Screen, as opposed to only having applications on there, is very useful for me too.

I'm sure there are other things that I like about Windows 8 but I can't think off the top of my head.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Wait, you installed the 32 bit because it'd run a little faster? I'm confused on that, doesn't 64 bit run faster if you have a 64 bit capable computer, which I'm just going to assume you do?

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Wait, you installed the 32 bit because it'd run a little faster? I'm confused on that, doesn't 64 bit run faster if you have a 64 bit capable computer, which I'm just going to assume you do?

I remember in the early windows days 64bit always seemed to be a bit more buggy. That was long ago but I've developed the habit of going 32bit. I'm not running over 4GB memory so 32 sees it all. Otherwise I'd probably run 64

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
I remember in the early windows days 64bit always seemed to be a bit more buggy. That was long ago but I've developed the habit of going 32bit. I'm not running over 4GB memory so 32 sees it all. Otherwise I'd probably run 64

Ahh, I'm running on only 4 gb of ram as well but 64 bit runs pretty nicely now. I know what you mean about before, the reason it sucked was because drivers were left unsupported since it was released in the later days of XP. There are tons of benefits of using 64 bit, and also not sure if they fixed it in Windows 8 but in Windows 7 and Vista only around 3 GB of ram was allowed to be used in 32 bit. Even if it sees your 4GB of ram and shows it.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Well glad you got it installed.

I run my Mac Mini exclusively through my TV most of the times and I enjoy having W7 as the second boot, so what is to be gained by running W8?

It's my understanding that it is really designed for touch screens and if that's the case what's the value of it to someone like me other than to say, look I have W8? Maybe I have that wrong so enlighten me and then I'll decide based on the responses.

Thanks

Designed for Touchscreens ? Well yes and no. It works with touch and its also nice with a mouse pointer. Actually for the first time since OS X 10.1 Im considering changing back to Windows.

Lion is really irritating - so many bucks and lags :-( Expose doens work half the time, Safari crashes at least twice a day, the iMac freezes often... What I expected from Windows back then. But now it's the other way around :-/

But will keep the iMac - just because of the looks of it :-D

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Designed for Touchscreens ? Well yes and no. It works with touch and its also nice with a mouse pointer. Actually for the first time since OS X 10.1 Im considering changing back to Windows.

Lion is really irritating - so many bucks and lags :-( Expose doens work half the time, Safari crashes at least twice a day, the iMac freezes often... What I expected from Windows back then. But now it's the other way around :-/

But will keep the iMac - just because of the looks of it :-D

I don't use Expose or Safari crap so I can't account to that. I have bootcamp to use windows the maybe once a month I need to. Other than that, I'll never go back to Windblows again. Never had many bugs, but I don't do much intensive stuff either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.