How I Met Your Mother Ending (Spoliers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carjakester, Apr 2, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

the show just ended on monday and i started watching it back in november and thought the ending was perfect with the blue horn, though the last season really got stretched out. what did you guys think?

2. juanm, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

The last three-four seasons got stretched out. They jumped the shark when they made them sing in the street like a musical. The end was better than I expected from the last couple of years, though.

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

This final season was a lame horse and the final episode was the glue factory.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I, along with many others, am severely disappointed at the ending.

1) They introduce the Mother, get us to really like her, and then rush their relationship in the last episode to the point of her death (bummer). I mean, FINALLY, here is Ted's perfect woman - very kind, very similar personality, great relationship dynamic, incredibly likeable, very similar interests and wanting kids, having said kids..and then,

2) Then, they expect us to believe that after all Robin put him through, and how they just wouldn't work because they were too different and wanted different things, they somehow conclude with them (potentially) getting back together? After the death of his wife? Just feels wrong and like he was always in love with Robin (even while with the mother).

3) Barney and Robin get divorced? So the entire last season is focused on the weekend of their wedding, just to throw away their marriage 3 years in?

4) Barney's daughter - After all of Barney's declaration of love to Robin, etc., he's willing to throw it away and live the rest of his life a bachelor? Sure, it's sweet he has a daughter, but I think the better outcome would have been he and Robin getting back together and raising the daughter together, since Robin can't have kids.

5) The kids are COMPLETELY Ok with their father getting back together with his old lover after their mother has died? Yes, it's been 6 years since she died (again, major bummer that she died, huge error on the writer's part in my opinion), but again, just feels wrong to me that he'd get back together with her, the woman he loved before the Mother, and that the kids would be OK with that.

I have more complaints, but will leave it there for now.

After watching this show religiously for 7 years and being very invested in the characters (yeah, I know it's a TV show), I feel very let down and like they completely botched the ending. Really disappointing and has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

5. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

I'm pretty sure they didn't even know if they were going to have a final season which led them to stretching out the wedding. i also thought it was strange how little attention the mother got, considering the show is based around her. I have read that they filmed the final episode during the first season so they knew how it was going to end. Josh Radnor (Ted) said he thought the title was a "fake out" and just kept the attention so people would want to see how he met the mother. the show is more based around the adventures and lessons ted learned on the road to meet their mother.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I thought it was ok. I didn't like the mom. She was too annoyingly sweet and perfect. Felt very forced. Don't mind that he ended up with Robin, that's something that could happen in real life, going back to a lost love later in life, but it seems very bizarre that the kids encouraged it (and a little creepy that they called her Aunt Robin while doing it). The finale was a bit of a downer but I feel like that's because it mimicked real life, friendships end, people die, and not everyone ends up happy.

What I really wish they would have done with Barney (pre-Robin) is have him turn out to be gay and have to admit that all of his stories were just that. I thought that would have been kind of funny since he's gay IRL.

It was only the scenes with the kids since they would have aged so much. And who knows, they may have filmed a few different outcomes, would be cool to see as extras on a DVD. The rest was filmed recently.

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I had a completely different view than you did. The show was about how he MET her, not about how he convinced her to be with him. Sure, some more attention to THEIR relationship in the finale would have been nice. I like how they covered the "future" of the group. As for the confusion over how Ted could settle for Robin after the mother dies, PEOPLE CHANGE. Sure, when they were 20 years younger and Ted wanted a family but Robin didn't it certainly made sense for them not to end up together but 20 years down the road, now that Ted has his kids and he's probably willing to travel more it absolutely makes sense. I felt like the finale "completed" the show. They brought many threads from the first 8 seasons into this show and showed how they related to him meeting the mother.

By the way, I think the "I can't have kids" by Robin was a cover for the fact that she just didn't want to have kids.

Just one thing.. What was the deal with that darn PINEAPPLE!

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Except for 3 or 4 eps, this season was crap but I enjoyed the ending.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I liked it, but then again it did feel rushed. I was really bummed they killed the wife off though. I don't know if I would of had Ted and Robin get back together. After Barny has tainted the waters! ha.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I could write a book on how bad the finale was.

Just completely ****ed Barneys character. After 2-3 seasons of character development, passing the "torch" to those 2 guys earlier in season 9, he just regresses to his old womanizing ways again?

After spending 22 episodes on Barney and Robins wedding. After spending 2-3 seasons establishing how Barney and Robin were for each other, they get divorced quite literally in 10 seconds.

The mother. The short time the mother was seen, I grew to like her character more than any of the original gang. I don't necessarily have a problem that shes dead, although I thought it was incredibly cheap. Marshall's dad's death got more on-screen time than the mother. This is someone who has been hyped for 8 seasons. We see more and more tidbits and teases of her every episode. She is built up to be the perfect woman for Ted, and she is. But killing her was super cheap. Instead of cramming almost 2 decades into the finale, every member of the gang meeting the mother should have been an episode of its own. I'm sorry Robin just "bumping" into the mother, doesn't count as a meeting. Barney and Robins wedding should have been 3-5 episodes maximum. The rest should have been "normal" episodes except with Ted and the mother dating. If she ended up dying after that, I still would not have liked it, but I would have understood it better.

And finally, I come to the worst thing of all: Ted and Robin together. Throughout this entire show, the creators have sprinkled examples of how Ted and Robin would NOT work as a couple. Robin was never right for Ted, and this is why they never worked as a couple. We saw Robin literally float away from Ted, and we finally see Ted tell Robin that he doens't love her that way. That was it. Ted had finally seen the light and he had finally let go of Robin, and he had to physically tell her for it to be real. Then they just kill the mother and he ASKS his kids if its OK for him to start dating Aunt Robin? Seriously what the **** is that? Then his daughter said "we love aunt robin" after showing an 8 second montage of the mother dying which literally felt like a punch in the stomach. It made the mother just a footnote in this story, and reduced her to just another one of Teds "girls."

The finale did not fit in with the feel of the show. All these shows want to have "edgy" and "twist" endings, but they overlook the fact that they need the right ending. The way this show ended was so incredibly bad. It completely erased all of the character development for Ted and Barney. Ted goes from a hopeless romantic who ends up with the girl of his dreams to a slimeball. Not only that, Robin was shown to have lost touch with everyone else in the gang after 2014. She looks like more of an ******* than she already was, but all of a sudden every thing is forgotten and Ted just goes to her apartment just as in the first episode? If I ever see a blue french horn in real life I will destroy it. As a fan for this show for 9 years I just felt cheated.

11. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

i would have liked to see a bit more into the life of ted and their mother, maybe something happened outside of the show where it couldn't work the way they wanted it too. who knows, but you make very good points which make the second half of the show pretty much a waste of time. I also liked the mother as a character almost as much as barney in the first 3 seasons.

what do you guys think of this ending?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0caCEG1nH3E

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have to say it was one of the worst endings to a TV show I've seen. I get that they decided on the ending from the beginning, and it might have worked if the show had only lasted 4 or 5 seasons, but they completely undid all the character development that they did over the last few seasons. Plus it is supposed to be a comedy, so why would you want as depressing of an ending as we got? The mother died, and then Ted goes back for Robin which to me says that he never really got over her, and the whole time he was with the mother he was regretting having missed out on Robin, which makes him seem like a jerk. Plus considering how over the past 9 seasons the writers have shown over and over again that Ted and Robin don't work and won't ever work so even though he goes back for her at the end of the finale I have to assume that it fails again a few months down the line, if they wanted it to work they should have started a few episodes ago at least showing how Robin and Ted change to actually be able to work as a couple.

In the end probably the best thing about the finale was it made me glad that the show is over, and saved me time in the future as I won't have any desire to rematch any of the old episodes again.

13. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

My feelings are still mixed on the ending. What I'm mad at is the entire 9th season was WASTED. They went into too much detail with the wedding. I think they could have squeezed the wedding into 2-3 episodes, 4 max. Not a WHOLE season. Then, they squeezed 15 and a half years (2014-2030) into 2 episodes.

Regardless, I think the rest of the series was pretty good. I'll wait until iTunes has a "Series Special" of sorts and order it.

14. WoodNUFC, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I thought the ending was perfect for the show. I can understand people being frustrated with its pacing, but I thought the ending fit the previous seasons very well.

I don't get the comment that I keep reading about Ted using Tracy as a surrogate mother for his life with Robin. He was with Tracy for 10 years before she died, and waited another 6 to start dating again -- which he only did on the insistence of his kids. (BTW, did anyone notice that their encouragement was exactly the same as Lilly and Marshall's in the pilot?)

At least he didn't become a lumberjack after shipping his kids off to South America.

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I severely disliked the ending.

- They spent an entire season on Barney/Robin's wedding only for them to get a divorce literally in the next 25 minutes of the show?! They even showed how Barney was such a changed man, destroying the playbook, coming up with The Final Play.

- We barely got to see the mother. I was really hoping for more of her in the last episode. The show spent 9 seasons talking about her and then she barely gets 30 minutes actual on-screen time throughout the series?

- Tracy dies - okay, I would've been fine with this provided 2-3 episodes earlier Ted actually met her, they dated, and then they killed her off. But us barely seeing her and then just getting a clip of her in the hospital..

- They also spent an entire season (More or less) on Barney/Robin's wedding. Then they spent one episode on a time-period of 30 years! Priorities...

I have more, but no time to talk about it.

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

This is exactly how I felt about it. Through all that Ted went through to finally meet the right woman, he deserved to just grow old with her. I was pretty pissed the show killed her off.

17. ucantgetridofme macrumors 6502

I can't believe so many people watch this crappy show. It's not funny the laugh track is annoying as hell the actors suck. I thought this was a kids show the first time I saw it.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think the 9th season being mostly about the Barney and Robin wedding and the divorce coming up in the final episode was a pretty good setup for a shocker.

If this wasn't enough Ted's wife dies of an illness in what appears to be in the year 2024. This would eventually leave Robin open for Ted in the very last scene in the year 2030 where the first season started with Ted talking to his kids about their departed mother. It all came full circle and there was probably no easy way to please everybody.

I am sure during the final season and Barney getting Robin and then leading to a wedding may have pissed off Ted fans of the show.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I disagree. A lot of people said as soon as they got together that Barney and Robins marriage wouldn't last. Thats why people were pissed off that the whole season was their wedding only for them to get divorced.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That's what some hardcore fans who know every detail seem to be saying on the net. I equally like Robin with Ted or Robin with Barney but I guess the long history of the show has the Robin and Ted thing as a central theme.

I am glad that Ross and Rachel ended up on Friends and anything less would have been sacreligious. I guess this is the case with Robin and Ted.

21. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

Maybe the wedding was more about what was happing during that time, rsther than to focus on barney and robin.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Season 9 was mediocre at best, however, they did do one monumentally good thing: They cast Cristin Milioti as the mother. She and Josh Radnor had excellent chemistry and she is very pretty, but not a model. Great casting.

23. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I was not a fan of the final episode.

I think more people would have liked the entire season had they not killed of Tracy and not had Barney and Robin get a divorce.

Spending the entire season (essentially) on the wedding, showing how Barney was changing into a different person (a better person) and then throwing it all away made a lot of people wonder why bother.

I have more thoughts on how things could have/should have happened but I don't feel like typing any more.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

"Oh, Tracy is dead? Good thing there is only one other person in New York I can get with!"

Seriously, they need to bolt that blue french horn to the wall.

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It's true that is a main overarching theme of the show. But what happened during the wedding that was so important, other than Ted finally letting go of Robin?

I agree. She is awesome.