How I really got a free 3g, directly from Apple.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr8whtd0pe, Sep 25, 2008.

1. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

So what happened to me was I sent my 2g 4gb in for repair. I had originally called and stated that the 2.0 firmware was acting up. The rep was an idiot and suggested at return for repair. I agreed since my warranty was getting ready to go out. I mean the worse that could happen would be to get my phone back. Whoopie right? Well I got mine back, as expected, it had been jailbroken on 1.1.4 after all hehe. Well the black plastic piece that covers the antennas was broken off. I called apple as soon as I picked it up from FedEx and they offered me a brand new one (2g, 1g whatever you want to call it) as a replacement. I said that would be cool, since I wasn't all that impressed with the 3g's yet (they had only been released a week earlier at this point). A day later I received an email from Corporate Customer Relations offering me a 8gb Black (duh) 3g instead, or a white one for 100$. I wont give out the names on here, but she offered me it due to the fact they no longer have the 4gb's new, nor really any other 1g's new, just "new" aka refurb. I said that would be fine (its free right?). Well turns out she left sick shortly after and I was unable to get a hold of her again via email or her direct number. I called daily and asked if there was anything someone else could do. They kept saying that since she was handling my case that I would have to talk to her directly.

So timeframe:
    Thursday (July 24th): Get the phone back, call apple.
    Friday: Get email from corp. Replied.
    Sat and Sun: Apple corp. is closed.
    Mon - Wed: Called and tried to get a hold of her, not to mention voicemails and emails.
    Thursday: Called corporate's main number (Google it). Got through to someone that is finally willing to help me since she was out of office. He offered me the white 16gb for free since it took so long.
    Friday: White iPhone 3g shipped overnight from Apple. FedEx label was emailed to mail to send my old damaged one in. Once they received tracking info he placed the order.
    Monday: Activated. :cool:

That’s how I got my iPhone 3g for free. All I can say is I am really impressed how Apple handled a mistake by a rep and a repair center. Renewed my faith.

Only problem is when I got the white one, where the white meets the chrome trim ring its rough and it feels like the screen isn’t flat... its not really noticeable. But I did mention it to my case manager and she sent me a free case of my choice from the Apple store. Which was nice, but ended up not using it.

Oh and just to prove that this really happened somewhat:
    go to: http://www.apple.com/orderstatus

iPhone: 7090049119
    Case: 7090834618

My zip is 25015

I wasn't going to post this originally, but with the way Apple is going down hill with this due to firmware issues, I thought I would post it and show that they do in fact care about their customers in the end.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. gr8whtd0pe thread starter macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

lol sorry already gave it to a friend that just got his iPhone. But I don't think he is using it either. Ill ask him and get back to ya.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Sweet man. by the way, That really is a really REALLY REALLY lucky incident probably. I don't think that they would do that to just anybody. Plus what actually happened to your 4gig iPhone?

5. gr8whtd0pe thread starter macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Yeah I know, I was just posting it saying that they do care about thier customers. It's also why I'm not posting names. I don't want people calling corp care and saying that so and so gave this guy a free one and I want one. Apple did all of this on their own.

They made me send it back in. They sent me a FedEx label and only when tracking showed that FedEx had the old one, they shipped the new one. Why I dont know for sure, but whatever lol.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's so you don't scam them- meaning *they ship out iPhone before you do* *you recieve iPhone 16GB 3G, but don't send the old one back, you keep both* then they lose money or whatever.

7. gr8whtd0pe thread starter macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Well yeah. Duh, guess your right lol. I didn't really care what they did with it, I was just happy they were doing the rest of it.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Lol, yeah, I'd be like 'here you go, now give me a brand new 16GB White!'

9. gr8whtd0pe thread starter macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

lol yeah something like that.

Sadly the hardest part was convincing at&t that I shouldn't have to sign a contract since I didn't get it for the sub pricing. They kept arguing with me that there is no way that Apple would have sent me one directly. He shut up when I showed him her email though lol. His look was pricless. Needless to say no contract renewal for me!

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

lmao, nice nice, that would be awseme. good thing here though, When I got my iPhone for free(my cousin gave it to me) I didn't have to renew my contract...so that was good..

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

PM me once you get to know about that Case?

Btw, just as a heads up, what case is it? link?