How I restored my Lion shutdown time to "normal"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by macagain, Aug 13, 2011.

1. macagain, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

macagain macrumors regular

Like many others, I experience drastically increased shutdown times after my Lion upgrade... it went from 0 or 1 spin of the spinner to like around 15 consistently.

Based on someone else's experience posted on the apple boards, I ended up deleting everything from my Login Items in the user sys pref, and everything in <HD>/Library/StartupItems. Shutdown times went back to zero spins... yay!

I then put things back one at a time, and tested shutdown with each. So far, I've got gfxCardStatus and growl back in with no probs.

The HP Tray Monitor folder I removed from StartupItems, I just left out, since I have no idea what it does! I don't know know if it's the culprit, but I'm not missing it yet.
    Update: this indeed was the culprit! I put it back in and shutdown went back to 15 spins, took it out again and it's back to instantaneous!

So far so good. Shutdown down to almost instaneous, and startup is 0.5-2 spins.

2. matgzx macrumors newbie

Hero!

Man, I need to write this, I've been struggling with the shutdown time on my Mac for maybe almost a year, I've tried 3000 things searching on Google with no luck, I've restored my Mac with Time Machine countless times. Today I saw this post of you, I followed the steps and now my shutdown time decreased from 30 seconds to 1 second, man you're awesome!!! Thank You!!!!! I want to kill HP!!!

3. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Tried this and ran into problems....

I did this - and pulled the items out of the Startupitems folder - which did speed up the shutdown time. The second picture shows what was in the Startup folder.

I then put back all but the HP ones - but when I restarted I got the notification in the first picture. This was repeated for each item - so 6 notification boxes in total had to be dismissed!

I then found out that those items had been moved to the Trash.

How can I put them back correctly so they work - I really want to stop all the notifications every time I start.

Attached Files:

4. dumb macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

mine was taking forever to shutdown/restart. Did a clean install, drastically reduced the start/shutdown times.

5. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

It worked.... deleted all the things in <HD>/Library/StartupItems....
    now shut down time is fast again...