iPhone 6(S)(+) How I saved 4K dollars (or more)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Nothing wrong with that. Being a consumer isn't the best thing for American wallets by any means.

Though I am glad Apple is now recycling more products.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Keeping my 6S for another year, no Iphone 7, 8, X, or XS for me.. That's an easy $4K savings, probably a lot more over 4 years.
It’s a good phone and word is iOS 12 will give it some additional life and kick. I still have my 6s Plus. It’s being used by a sister-in-law. I’m trying to get it away from her so I can put a new battery in it for her since she won’t do it herself and the prices will go up again. :rolleyes: We wanted to buy her a new iPhone for her birthday a few months ago but she loves the 6s Plus so much and didn’t want to give up the headphone port. The 6s series was a good one.

Reactions: kazmac

ARizz44

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Congrats on your savings! I sold my 8 Plus 256gb for $770 on Swappa, spent $1550 (after tax) for my XS Max 512gb, $780 out of pocket, and couldn’t be happier about it.

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
6s is starting to lag, but it's doing better than I expected. I don't think I could hack using a 6, but a 6s I could deal with in terms of performance, although I'd prefer the 6s Plus.

Some are also claiming some performance improvements in iOS 12 too.

Not really a 4K savings though, since most people don't upgrade every year.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It’s a good phone and word is iOS 12 will give it some additional life and kick. I still have my 6s Plus. It’s being used by a sister-in-law. I’m trying to get it away from her so I can put a new battery in it for her since she won’t do it herself and the prices will go up again. :rolleyes: We wanted to buy her a new iPhone for her birthday a few months ago but she loves the 6s Plus so much and didn’t want to give up the headphone port. The 6s series was a good one.
This is exactly how I feel about my 6s. Ironically, like most ‘s’ upgrades, it was slagged upon release as an insufficient iterative update. Apple focused on the right things with this model.

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
This is exactly how I feel about my 6s. Ironically, like most ‘s’ upgrades, it was slagged upon release as an insufficient iterative update. Apple focused on the right things with this model.
At least amongst some of us geeks, the 6s was an even bigger deal, because it double the RAM, and had the SoC performance to match. The 6 Plus was somewhat of a downer to a lot of us. Already somewhat crippled at launch.

Yes, the 6 line was the big form factor change, but I personally skipped that generation because of the RAM limitation of the 6. Got the 6s as soon as it came out.

We'd consider going an extra year with my wife's 6s and my 7 Plus, but her 6s had started acting up. Definitely need to replace the battery too. She's at 75% capacity now.

LiemTa

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Bad logic. I sell my old iPhone when the new one comes out. Not even close to 4k

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I generally go at least 3 years between phones myself and I have the iPhone 6s Plus, but it's getting sluggish now even with iOS 12. The battery life surely isn't what it use to be, so I purchased the iPhone XS Max sim free (full price). I got this money from selling an older MacBook Pro, Apple Watch and I already have someone interested in this iPhone 6s Plus, so you pay for it in other ways or at least reduce what you'll actually spend from your pay check.

I am sure I will enjoy it for the next 3 years minimum. Saying you saved so much money because you didn't upgrade doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. Did you save it, can you see it in your savings account or did you just spend it on other crap you didn't need. You know in the US we save less money that in most other industrialized countries and it isn't because we buy a new phone every year. Fact is we have to plan to save money.. that is how it's done. It why I put so much money in my savings account, IRA and 401K each pay period. That is how you save money!!!

Last edited:

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2018
Keeping my 6S for another year, no Iphone 7, 8, X, or XS for me.. That's an easy $4K savings, probably a lot more over 4 years.
That’s good. That’s what I save in 2 months while still buying 2 iPhone Xs Max. I get it because I can afford it. If I couldn’t, I wouldn’t get it. I’m a firm believer, if you can’t pay it in cash, then you can’t afford it. Even if it seems you can pay it in payments. Just stating what I believe. But then this isn’t a financial forum is it?

Last edited:

DJTaurus

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2012
Only watch s4 update is worth the money this year. They didn’t even update the hardware of Face ID only software improvements.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Those three phones do not cost $4,000 combined. Also, selling your phone every year significantly reduces the cost of upgrading while getting the largest return. I'm glad I do it every year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.