How I scored an iPhone 6 Plus on 9/20

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tgi, Sep 20, 2014.

1. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

First of all, I consider myself incredibly lucky to be able to find the exact color/capacity iPhone 6 Plus that I wanted the day after launch. None of this would have happened if I didn’t find this thread right here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1784178.

11:00 PM - I began checking Apple.com (using Safari on my iPhone) to see if a 64GB iPhone 6 plus Space Grey AT&T is available to pickup on 9/20 around the SF Bay Area. No stores in had any available (not surprised). I repeated this process for the next hour.

12:05 AM - Inventory on Apple.com seems to be updated as there are now 3 stores within a 30 minute drive of me that have the iPhone I want, available for pickup 9/20. I proceed to place an order at the closest Apple store to me and for some reason when I reach the final stages of checking out, it would show unavailable for pickup. So I would reload Apple.com and the same store will show available again, so I keep trying. After failing again, I refreshed Apple.com and tried the same thing but selecting a different Apple store. Same problem, still not showing availability for pickup. I repeat this for 30 minutes until I decide to try using the Apple Store App.

12:35 AM - I try ordering again at the Apple store closest to me, but using the Apple Store app this time around. Order goes through on the first try. I had to choose contract upgrade as they don’t allow AT&T Next and customer pickup for some reason. Still trying to figure out why.

12:40 AM - E-mail confirmation received from Apple.
    [​IMG]

8:03 AM - E-mail confirmation that iPhone is ready for pickup.
    [​IMG]

10:30 - Arrived at Apple Store, waited in the Reservation line.

10:45 - iPhone 6 Plus in hand and out the door.

tl;dr

*Bought iPhone 6 plus day after launch without preordering or waiting in line.
    *Online inventory refreshed at midnight local time.
    *AT&T Next and customer pickup did not work for me.
    *Used the Apple Store app, as Safari was not letting me place the order on my iPhone.

Hope this thread can help someone snag an iPhone 6 plus early than they are shipping them! Good luck!

[​IMG]

2. uchosen macrumors 6502

That's awesome. Congrats and enjoy your phone :D

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

4. iPhoney Baloney macrumors member

iPhoney Baloney

Similar to how I got the phone I wanted at the Apple Store closest to my home on Launch Day. Only I had no luck with the App and scored at Apple.com on my iMac after repeated tries.

5. zosimus macrumors newbie

Great play-by-play. I had a similar experience. I live in Orange County and checked this morning at 5 am local time. There were 6+ at multiple locations in the area. I snagged a gold 64gb and showed up around 10:30 am to claim it. Much easier than the 5s launch.

6. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

FYI, the inventory updated for PST local but for everyone else at 12 PST. I don't know why that happened. Now it's happening continuously.

7. C6jr12 macrumors newbie

I walked in to my local Apple store in Westlake Ohio today at 12:30 pm and scored an iPhone plus silver only had for att but I took a chance and bought it full price tried my T-Mobile sim and it worked no issues

8. ihatephish macrumors regular

Nice! I was able to get what I wanted on launch. Though I preordered the silver 64gb, I was able to call an audible and switch to the sliver 64gb plus. Thought I was going to hate the plus, but am now enjoying it very much!

Anyway, decided I want to exchange for a gold version, so my question is will they have a new inventory on Sunday? Anybody know?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So what time for local easter time. 3am eastern or 12am still?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Guess what guys? I just scored a gold 16GB 6 Plus at an Apple store in boston.
    I just kept checking and refreshing.
    Same store showed a white one and by the time i put in my cart and tried to check out it was gone.
    Then a few minutes later I checked for gold and that same store came up again and was able to check out with it on time.
    I got the email with your order is being processed.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

11. JDfromMA macrumors newbie

Kept trying to get one but Apple denied payment and then it was gone. Glad a member got one though

12. dkraneveldt macrumors newbie

How do you look for in-store pick up options on the Apple Store app? I see the buy option, but I don't see anything in regards to reservation.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

At first I think I messed up and I entered the security code on the back of the card wrong.
    So payment didn't go through and phone was snatched up by someone else.
    Then looked in my wallet and saw that I was putting in the wrong 3 digit number.
    2nd time went through, hope they don't cancel my order. I got the day off tomorrow so this will be perfect.
    Thinking about canceling my other line Apple preorder and just trying this method instead. Im sure I'll get something sooner than a month.

----------

Its there. click on pick up instead of ship.

14. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

When the 5s came out somebody put up a webpage that aggregated availability in your area. Anybody hear of anything like this for the 6/6+ ?

15. MiSNemesis macrumors newbie

So let me see if I have this right.

I will use the Apple Store app and order the phone around or after 3am EST. If there is stock the Apple Store will allow me to pick up?

16. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I was told today that 5:00 AM was when you could start to see available inventory at individual stores. If they have it and you order it, a next day pickup is possible.

17. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

So did you end up getting the store to do Next for you when you got into the store to pick it up, or did you just decide to forget it and go with the 2 year contract?

18. Joe1602 macrumors regular

Try 3am EDT, or you will be an hour late and might miss it.

19. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I too am wondering. When I chose NEXT 12 it would not let me pick it up at the store. If I go contract will they be able to change it at the Apple Store?

I think they can as long as you are not trading a NEXT phone in early and just upgrading your line to a NEXT payment plan but would like to know if anybody has done this.

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

That is actually a very cool story. Enjoy your phone. :)

21. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I hate you OP. I really do.

j/k.. well, kind of. :p

22. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

This is actually how I got my iPhone 5 about a month after launch. I didn't get it as quickly as you did, however even a month after launch the 5 was in short supply like the 6 is now.

Nice job getting your phone! Hope you enjoy it! I know I have enjoyed mine!

23. EW800 macrumors 6502

Seeing these success stories of pick-up, I think I really blew it as far as ordering. I'm on Verizon. I tried to go through Apple.com the moment ordering was said to be begin, but with the Apple site not going live on time, I went through Verizon's site. It had errors as well with all the volume, but finally got my order in at about 12:45 PT, for a 6+ 64GB SG. I had a receive date of 10/7, but now a ship date of 10/3. I think I probably would have been better going through thr in-store search and pick-up. :(

24. tgi thread starter macrumors 65816

tgi

The option will only be there if the store has stock.

It refreshed at midnight local time for me (PST).

I could have gone for that option, but decided it wasn't worth the risk. The Apple employee that was helping me said if I wanted to do Next, I would have to return the phone, which would update their online inventory as available. She also let me know that the phone I got was the only Plus in their store. If someone were to purchase it during that small window, the phone would no longer be available for me, even if I was standing right in front of them the whole time. It makes perfect sense and I decided it wasn't worth it so I just opted for the 2 year contract.

25. taedouni macrumors 65816

congrats man, I did something similar. My 9/19 silver was delayed from Friday to Monday and I'm an addict and I needed to get my drug ASAP. Well Saturday 2-2:30am I found the 6+ 128GB in Gold at the Pasadena store and I was conflicted. It took me 5 minutes before I did buy (I have VZW UD so I pay full price). My original order was a silver phone. My order was ready for pickup around 8am but the store didn't open until 10am. I arrived there around 10:30 am and waited like 30-40 minutes in the pick up online order line.

Now having this gold 6+ in the leather olive brown case I don't think that I'll be holding onto that silver 6+ unless my wife wants it but she keeps telling me that she doesn't really want or need it. We'll see.