Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I have done a lot of thinking about this issue. I used to (actually still do) read a lot on my 27" iMac and 11" MBA without any issue. Any textbooks for school I can get an ebook version for I do, as well as keeping an eye out for good deals for fiction/non-fiction books on Kindle. So I read probably a book a week or more on my computer.
However since using my iPhone 5 for 6 months now, I have really started to notice the lack of retina on my computers, that when reading books the text is just simply fuzzier (and this on the two highest DPI of Apple's non-retina computers).
I imagine the issue is similar with the iPad mini, and why Apple would be desperate to get a retina version out. However, margins are already pretty tight on the mini, much lower than usual for an Apple hardware product (even though it is much higher priced than the competition). So Apple will not want to cut margins any further. This will cause a problem, because a retina mini will no doubt cost more - bigger battery, more expensive screen, etc.
Added to that, Apple would like to get a basic iPad closer to the cost of their competitors. So here is how I think Apple will price the iPad mini going forward:

Retina iPad mini (gen 2): $349
iPad mini (gen 1) : $249

What this does is gives them some breathing space on margins for the retina iPad. It increases the price a little, and they can do that by marketing it as the premium mini, with retina display (which is already a premium brand for Apple). For those that complain about that price, there is the original mini. It now has the standard Apple $100 discount for previous generation items, and is much more competitively priced compared to the competition. But Apple does not have to discount it by the full $100 (30%!) in less than a year in order to do that, hopefully maintaining the already "slim" margins they have on the mini and not decreasing them any further.

What do you think?

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Gen2 will probably be $329 like the Gen1 was at release.

You're probably right about the Gen1 price though

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Depends on if Apple managed to improve the margins at the current price point. If it is retina I would guess the gen 1 is offered at 329 as a no retina option and the retina is offered at closer to 400. Think they are afraid of losing too much iPad 5 sales if a mini retina is too cheap.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I think it's a given that the first gen will come in at a cheaper price point. It's a fantastic way to raise the margins on a product and take acvantage of manufacturing efficiencies and economies of scale.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
if the new Mini sells for $329, I see no reason the ipad 5 has to sell for $499 except for previous history. If Apple wants more cannibalizing than what has already occurred, leaving it at $499 when the Mini 2 is $329 will do the trick.

Gotta teach old dogs new tricks! :D

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Surely you've noticed that Apple has kept its pricing consistent regardless of what the upgrades are.

iPhones (aside form the first) have stayed at 199
iPads have stayed at 499

The Mini will stay at 329

They haven't around the world.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Surely you've noticed that Apple has kept its pricing consistent regardless of what the upgrades are.

iPhones (aside form the first) have stayed at 199
iPads have stayed at 499

The Mini will stay at 329

Yep and IF they keep the original Mini it will probably be more like $279 at the lowest

Last edited:

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I would agree besides the fact that the processor in the mini may not be enough for iOS7, considering its the same as in the iPad 2 i believe.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I know _exactly_ how much the second gen model will be.

That's why I'm always able to project costs for my personal tech purchases each year.

Apple calculates its cost, ads in a large markup and presto! That's how much they sell it for.

See how much time I save by accepting Apples practices?

No wasted time guessing ... :D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would agree besides the fact that the processor in the mini may not be enough for iOS7, considering its the same as in the iPad 2 i believe.
Not enough in what way?

The iPad mini will run iOS 7. It'll probably even get most if not all of the new features of iOS 7. And I think iOS has pretty much finished being bloated with processor hogging features.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Not enough in what way?

The iPad mini will run iOS 7. It'll probably even get most if not all of the new features of iOS 7. And I think iOS has pretty much finished being bloated with processor hogging features.

I would expect it to get all features of iOS7.

It's got more iOS features than the iPad2 despite the same processor, the main one being Siri.

If the mini can't support all the iOS7 features due to its processor, then the same would have to be said of the latest Touch, which also has the A5.

That would be alienating an awful lot of devices....

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I cant see them raising the price of the mini. I think whatever the offer as the mini will be priced the same as it is now. I agree that the gen 1 will drop to $250 though.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I cant see them raising the price of the mini. I think whatever the offer as the mini will be priced the same as it is now. I agree that the gen 1 will drop to $250 though.

If the new Mini with cellular 16gb does not rise in price, that will be the one I get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.