How important is a case with a stand?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DaneGuy, Apr 7, 2010.

1. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

I don't have my iPad yet but I'm considering cases and I can't think of any reason I'd need the iPad to stand up. Would it be just for movies? I probably won't be doing that. Any other reasons?

Also, I see some cases (like Apple's case) that sort of slant for typing. Is that important or can I just type with the iPad flat on a table?

Most of the time I'll probably be laying down in bed with it or sitting on the toilet. :D Does a stand help at all when laying down?

Sorry for all the questions......:eek:

2. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

Have been thinking about this myself because the flaps on these cases kind of bother me. Seems like i'm always holding my ipad when im using it I don't set it down so the flap is always in the way.

I ordered one of these cases yesterday:

[​IMG]

I think it will be better because no flap in the way and it should make the Ipad easier to hold plus I really love the blue color :D

It was only 20 bucks shipped so no big loss if I don't like it. Will post an update with some pics once it gets here.

3. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

A case that functions as an easel to slightly tilt the screen up is invaluable. Laying it flat on a table or desk and trying to surf or type is excruciating. Plus, at the slight elevation, you can quickly glance down on the screen and see it at a decent angle. Even helps when holding it or placing on your lap. I won't buy a case without this feature.

4. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I can see the value in the slight tilt but what about being able to stand it up? I know this will sound dumb: does it help at all when using the iPad laying down?

5. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

There are situations for this, i've done it using netflix to watch movies in bed. Thing is with the Apple case i found myself propping up the ipad case even in its standing position in order to get the viewing angle I wanted because it's not adjustable and also because it wont stand up on my bed it constantly falls over LOL So I figure if i'm going to prop it up anyway why bother with the flap. Seems like theres always something handy whenever i do need to prop the device up and i can better manipulate the angle using whatever I have handy as opposed to being forced into the fixed angles the cases provide. Plus i'm a big proponent of keeping the device sleek and although the apple case is sleek the flap is not! LOL

Good luck with whatever you decide, I have a feeling in the end most people will end up purchasing at least a couple different cases before finding the one that best suits them.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

There is no right answer to this question, it's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I wanted a case with a stand so that I can prop it up on the go without having to worry about bringing an extra accessory while providing additional protection. At the same time, a case with a stand only works if done right. I think in time we should see some really good options out there.

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I am actually in bed right now typing with the ipad tilted up using the incase convertible case. It is nice cause I can type with lying down and don't have to sit up or prop myself up on a bunch of pillows. I can just rest it on my belly and tilt it up vertically. Very useful.