All iPads How important is a stand for an iPad Air case?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bankaimadness, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

2. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

It's all in how you plan to use your iPad. I've had cases with stands, and cases without them, and nowadays I don't bother with cases at all. Different needs, different products.

For me, I've found that having the stand separate from the device/case is best. It allows me to use different stands when I need them (folding stand for travel, big heavy one that puts the thing at near eye level on my desk, etc.) while not adding any weight to the device during the 85% of the time when I don't need a stand at all.

This is also why I don't use keyboard cases. :D

4. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

So you change cases a lot?

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I use the Apple leather smart case for my Air 1 and ordered another for my Air 2.

I have found it works very good while adding little bulk.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I used to, back in the days of the original iPad. Now I don't bother with a case at all--Smart Cover & a padded sleeve for travel, if I feel I need it. Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover when I need a keyboard for writing anything more substantial than a post here; it attaches to the same magnets as the SmartCover and has a groove to fit the iPad into as a stand.

I've had three iPads now and found them all to be pretty durable in my hands with little more than reasonable care. So I'm not into adding the extra weight, and therefore go case-free. But when I was still using cases, I found that I used built in stands too little to justify them.

Again, it's 100% based on what you use your device for. If you need it upright most of the time and have a solid flat surface in front of you to put it on, then a stand case will make sense for you. If instead you typically hold it in your hands or on your lap while slouched on a couch, a stand case does nothing but add excess weight.

7. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Are those ipad keyboards really useful?

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Depends. Writing a book without one is a bit of a pain (though I did about 20,000 words of one on the virtual keyboard of my original iPad before I decided to go back to using a physical keyboard with it for "real" writing. So it *can* be done.) For school or work, I'd find a physical keyboard a must. On the other hand, for posts like this, nah. A real keyboard is not really great for navigating the web, or for quick notes, etc.; way easier to just use the screen keyboard for those.

My husband, on the other hand, uses his Air for work and has never once paired a keyboard with it. He actually uses a Bluetooth stylus and an app that somehow reads his handwriting--which even I can't do!--to transcribe project and meeting notes all day long. For him, this is faster and more natural than either the virtual or physical keyboards. For me, no way.

As with cases and stands, this is a very individual thing, and everyone's needs will differ.