How important is dot pitch in a display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CoffeeMonkey, Jun 3, 2009.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

I am trying to decide between the Dell Ultrasharp 27" and the Ultrasharp 24". Both have the same maximum resolution, and (by my understanding) the 27" makes up the difference with its .303 dot pitch compared to the .27 dot pitch on the 24" model.

Would this larger dot pitch be glaring to someone with doing photo editing, video editing, etc on a casual basis?

(I'll be using the ATI card in a 2009 MacPro, if that makes any difference).

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: How important is dot pitch in a display?

RE:
    "I am trying to decide between the Dell Ultrasharp 27" and the Ultrasharp 24". Both have the same maximum resolution, and (by my understanding) the 27" makes up the difference with its .303 dot pitch compared to the .27 dot pitch on the 24" model.
    Would this larger dot pitch be glaring to someone with doing photo editing, video editing, etc on a casual basis?"

I think your age and eyesight are an important factor here.

If you're younger with good eyesight, you may prefer the 24" over the 27" because your eyes may be more perceptive to the increased pixel size of the 27".

However, if (like me) you're older, you may PREFER the larger pixels of the 27" display. I have a Dell UltraSharp 19" monitor which I use with my g4, and I find it a littler easier to read (at standard font sizes like 12 point) than I do on my iMac with the 24" display.

When you get down to it, the .303 pixels aren't _that much_ larger than the .027 pixels of the 24". And the display itself is of high-enough quality that you may not notice the difference much or at all.

If I had the money, I'd get the 27"!

- John

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I have the 2709W, and the higher dot pitch compared to the 2408WFP is nicer for movies, since the screen size is larger, so you don't have to watch so close, you can sit back, and still have a nicely sized screen for viewing.

Now comparing screen quality, they both use S- PVA panels, so expect really nice black levels and viewing angles, wide gamut, and for what it's worth, a lot of input lag compared to any other panel type.

So my suggestion is, if you are using the monitor for just a secondary screen for photo editing and stuff, get the 24. If you are using it to watch movies and maybe hook up a game console to it like I do, then go for the 27. Of course, when I got my 2709W, I got it for cheaper than the 2408WFP, so that was kind of a given :D

Good luck.

4. wlh99 macrumors 6502

I doubt you will notice the difference in dp. I would go with the monitor that best fits the space, viewing distance, and budget.

.27 and .30 are both pretty good and very close. Several years ago when monitors that size or smaller had a dot pitch in the .40+ range it was more important to pay attention to.

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Just keep in mind that in general, a smaller dot pitch is considered better than a larger dot pitch. Smaller pixels means they there are more in a given area, and less of the "screen door effect" when you sit up close to the screen.