How important is Intel?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomT321, Sep 29, 2009.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

Now that Snow Leopard is out and unavailable for older Macs without Intel processors, how much of an issue is this likely to become in the future? I have a Imac G5 1.8 and and just wondering if Mac is leaving us behind?:confused:

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think Intel is key until Apple has their own processor.

Being new to the apple scene, to me they don't have any problem leaving old technology and their users behind.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

Your iMac G5 is still a very good and useful machine. As far as Apple leaving the folks behind who still use a PPC machine, that's what's known as progress and innovation in the industry. Your G5 will be around for years to come - as long as it's healthy! :) There's still plenty of software available for it including a fine operating system (OS X Leopard).

And it appears most software developers have not decided to cut off the folks with PPC machines and publish their programs as Intel only. As a matter of fact - I have heard that the next MS Office for the Mac (Office 2010?) will still support the PPC.

Hey, I'm still driving a 98 Mustang! Gets me around real well. :p

Regards.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

For future OSX releases, Intel chips are very important.

Your machine and other PPCs still run their native software very well.

However, just like hardware issues, it cannot be expected that you machine will keep up with any new software. Run your machine until it no longer meets your requirements and then get a new one. ;)

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say given that Hardware updates revolve around Intel, they are probably pretty important.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

There are still G3 and G4 products keeping their users happy, including those that find their cache of OS 9.x apps running happily under Tiger. G5 machines are great, have their quirks and faults, but will generally be all most users will need from there machines.

The day after SL was released . . . none of my computers seemed to work any less efficiently.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

With any luck, old hardware will outlive the efficiency of its software. In other words, it will be software issues, most likely internet related, that will doom the hardware to the scrap heap. But, if the hardware dies, you'll get some of the new software when you replace it. So, as someone else said, just use it as long as it works for you.

8. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

One and All, I guess the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it applies. I am very happy with my G5 and it has never let me down and I have no indication that it will at least for quite some time to come. Thanks for the input and we shall see what we shall see.:)