How important is it to order the next MacPro early?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by firstyearprof, Nov 8, 2007.

1. firstyearprof macrumors member

Hi folks...

Let's assume the new MacPro arrives next Tue. Based on your prior experience with ordering macs, if you want a timely arrival, how important is it to order early (within the 1st few days of its announcement) if you want to receive the computer soon?

I waited for about a week before ordering the MacBookPro and it ended up taking well over a month to arrive - I guess because of the amount of interest & commensurate backlog.

Thanks!

FYP

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

The most effective technique I've seen for ensuring you're at the top of the list for delivery is to suck it up and pay for next-day shipping on a new order. That seems to take precedence over order sequence as Apple decides who gets the next machine in line.

I believe that someone who orders a next-day ship computer in the afternoon is more likely to receive a shipment that day than someone who orders the same computer but with standard shipping in the morning.

Odds are it's more complicated than that, and I think fundamentally the biggest factor is the specific configuration you choose and how that relates to Apple's inventory and what configurations they've chosen to build in anticipation of orders, but it's a good way to hedge your bet if you're impatient.

3. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Before Thanksgiving

Once it's available for ordering, hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday next week, Apple collects about $2,500 from me, I order a couple extra internal HDs from Newegg, and hope it all arrives Friday that week or Tuesday the following week cause I won't be in the office Monday, actually, yes I will, but in the afternoon which is when fedex would arrive and there is too much info there and I could have deleted all this. lol.

4. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Black Friday Sales

This is where are friend MultiMedia would jump in and tell everyone about the Black Friday sale at Fry's and to check them out for all of your hard drive purchases.;)

5. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

The only problem I run into is that I need, well, want everything installed before I turn it on for the first time. lol. Can't wait until Black Friday for those. :)

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Your best bet would be to order it after I order mine. :p I've been waiting longer than anyone here. Still have $300.00 worth of Apple gift cards from last Christmas.

Darth, 500 gig WD drives on sale at Fry's for $99.00 right now. FWIW, I don't remember any earth-shattering drive deals from last year's Black Friday sale.

7. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Here's hoping that there are no Institutional purchases being made by large corporations & universities that are going to consume the initial production runs.:(

8. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Not that I'm cheap or anything, but on a low budget here, was only hoping to spend 70 bucks each on a internal drive, that only gives me 2x250gigs. lol I might just suck it up and get 2x500s, we shall see. Thanks though.