How important is the drive space in a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hunterheath33, Jun 21, 2015.

1. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

Hello. Let me first begin by mentioning that bestbuy currently has a sale for a 2015 base model rmbp 13in for $1,150. That's $150 off the normal price. It also means a 2015 13in rmbp with 256gb storage space is close to $1,500. My current laptop is using less than 20gb of its 600gb hard drive. My school utilizes google drive which means nothing school related is stored on my computer. iCloud has began to play a large role in my backups and storage needs. Im thinking this deal is too good to pass up as I tested out this model in my local bestbuy and it was amazing. I love the force touch. Let me mention that I could get a refurb 2014 13in rmbp 256gb for $1,150. I'm thinking that the base model will suffice for quite a few years as I have always been a light user space wise and lately have been utilizing the cloud more. I just want to make sure that by purchasing this base model it will not negatively affect me. Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance.

2. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

Think no more, GO BUY IT! You have answered your own question :)

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well with your current usage it'll be absolutely fine. If you want to use it store Blu ray quality video it'll fill up darn quick.

4. wct097 macrumors 6502

Could be wrong, but I think Google drive replicates data like DropBox, but actually does store files locally on your machine. As such, Google Drive files do take up space on your machine unless you have it set not to sync those files.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Only you can know how much storage you need. I personally couldn't live with so little, heck my 64GB iPhone is a bit cramped, and it's a phone.

6. shoehornhands macrumors regular

One more thing to consider is that it's usually a good idea to avoid completely filling up an SSD (you lose performance as you fill them up). For the 128GB drive, you'd probably want to try to keep your usage < 100GB (most articles I've read recommend anywhere from 15-25% be free).

7. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I think most people would be happier with a larger hard drive than a faster processor. If it was me, id rather have the previous generation with a 512mb hard drive.

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

512 MB is pretty damn small.