Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
we heard rumours this is what will happen on all 3 models last year but nothing recently. how important would this feature be for you?

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Have been using high refresh rate monitors for a long time, I would definitely notice and appreciate it on the phone just scrolling all these social feeds we're attached to. But at the same time on a small screen I don't really care if it's there or not, eventually they all will.

Talked my self out of a S20, the phone as a whole didn't entice me enough and 120Hz wasn't enough to push me over the line.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Have been using high refresh rate monitors for a long time, I would definitely notice and appreciate it on the phone just scrolling all these social feeds we're attached to. But at the same time on a small screen I don't really care if it's there or not, eventually they all will.

Talked my self out of a S20, the phone as a whole didn't entice me enough and 120Hz wasn't enough to push me over the line.
The s20 only runs at 120hz at a lower resolution, not at its native only. Lame for the price.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Not at all interesting to me. Every once in awhile i see some lack of fluidity on these OLED phones while scrolling, but it doesn’t really bother me - I’m not speed reading the screen when I flick through pages of text that way.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Why are they having so much trouble getting this tech into phones when the iPads, which have higher resolution, bigger screens, have been doing it for a few years now?

Two reasons. 1) More powerful GPU in iPad. - 2) OLED in iPhones.

Anyways to answer the original question, I couldn't give a toss, haha. Only thing that'd matter to me is the fact that ProMotion can reduce the refresh rate below 60 for static content to increase battery life. Higher refresh I don't even notice on my 12.9 Pro

Reactions: compwiz1202

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Would definitely love to see a 120hz option on the Pro :) I'm interested in getting the next phone if it features this panel tech for sure!

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
120Hz for what? Navigating the springboard with super smooth animation? Every other app will be capped at 60Hz and so is video. So for me is just a gimmick .

Reactions: Closingracer

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Promotion is such an overrated feature. Right up there with OLED.

You notice it at first then after 2 days you forget about it.

Went back to a regular display and I don’t miss it at all.

No benefits from it to me.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
It's good on my 11" iPad but don't think it would matter on a smaller screen iPhone 11 pro.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
120Hz and 5G are pretty much the new only features I’m really desiring.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
ProMotion is outstanding for anyone who films on the iPhone or watches video. It means that it'll play the video in the correct frame rate with judder or jerkiness that you see on your computer whilst watching panning in a movie. So many frame rates - 23.976, 24, 25 in the UK&Europa, 30, 50, 60 - only 30 and 30 fit into a 60hz screen hence judder etc. Some people don't notice it but i notice it immediately. Just a shame that Apple didn't first this to their computers years ago.

IF the iPhone has ProMotion, I don't see battery life as a problem as the screen will adjust to whatever you are doing so instead of being on 60hz lie now, it can drop to 23.976 or even 10 - surely that will actually save on battery life!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
ProMotion is outstanding for anyone who films on the iPhone or watches video. It means that it'll play the video in the correct frame rate with judder or jerkiness that you see on your computer whilst watching panning in a movie. So many frame rates - 23.976, 24, 25 in the UK&Europa, 30, 50, 60 - only 30 and 30 fit into a 60hz screen hence judder etc. Some people don't notice it but i notice it immediately. Just a shame that Apple didn't first this to their computers years ago.

IF the iPhone has ProMotion, I don't see battery life as a problem as the screen will adjust to whatever you are doing so instead of being on 60hz lie now, it can drop to 23.976 or even 10 - surely that will actually save on battery life!

Is that really that outstanding though? I've used my iPhone for filming shorts with FiLMiC Pro and such, and it's pretty good... But it's never been the viewer I've worried about. As a capture device, the playback isn't really that crucial. Good capture is, whether playback on device is good or not is less relevant since it's mostly just for quick checks that it went well. Playback is more important on the Macs since that's where the editing happens. I don't care about ProMotion on an iPhone. Give me variable refresh rate Macs and I'm in.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Not important at all. 60Hz is fine for regular folks like me. If you check all the video comparisons with higher refresh rate screens, they all have to slow down the video to show the difference, but time if real life doesn't work like that. Battery life is more important.

But if Apple can achieve promotion while maintaining the excellent battery life of current iPhone 11 lineup, then by all means. It's a bonus.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I definitely understand the folks who dismiss ProMotion as a major feature in future iPhones. But honestly, the impact of a ProMotion display is pretty subjective. Some people don't notice and don't care, others feel the difference at first but don't find it significant. But there seems to be a sizeable number of end-users who, at least with the iPad, really are struck with the ProMotion difference. I know I was one of those--indeed, it was the main reason I bought my iPad Pro 10.5. I was examining it at Best Buy and I just couldn't believe how buttery smooth the screen felt; it really transformed how I felt about using an iPad.

The same thing will likely happen with ProMotion iPhones. Most customers may not be wowed by the technology. But I do wonder, once they begin using Promotion, if they'll find using older-tech screens unappealing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There’s thread(s) already on this topic, no need for another one OP.

Consumers don’t care about 120 Hz displays, it has its advantages, but to a very select few that Can physically ascertain the core Differences. It wouldn’t be a compelling upgrade for me personally, it would mainly be a mere bonus.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
To everyone claiming not seeing 120 Hz: If you have an iPad Pro, go to Settings and activate the Display setting where the iPad locks to 60 Hz. Use your iPad Pro for a few minutes, then change that setting again. You'll see a difference.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.