How important will 4G support be for iPad 2/3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ZBoater, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Aside from the Android/iOS debate, how important do you guys thing 4G support will be for the iPad 2 or 3?

I for one don't intend to upgrade my phone or iPad unless I can go 4G. The incremental improvements are nice, but I think 4G support (or lack thereof) will play an important role. As a Verizon customer I chose to skip the iPhone 4 hoping for an upcoming 4G device (Android of course), and am thinking of the same for my tablet (Galaxy 2 or Xoom if they support 4G LTE).

This of course is a moot point for wifi users, so you guys can just ignore this thread... :p

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

I do not think that the iPad 2 will have 4g, however, if the rumors are true that apple is accelerating the iPad release with a new iPad in the fall I think that iPad will have a 4g option. I think that this will happen because ATT and Verizon are all supposed to have their 4g networks up by June.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Depends what you mean by 4G. Since you're on Verizon I would assume you mean LTE. I'm sure the next iPad would support HSPA+ since it's effectively an upgraded 3G. LTE I'm not so sure of for the next several years since it would have to be deployed nationwide for Apple to support it. However, what would really affect my choice of whether or not I purchase the next iPad is if it can be used on both Verizon and AT&T.

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Yea, I feel with bolth the iPad and the iPhone that 4G LTE will be a problem. Apple can just stick it and juts go with it so the carriers will have to catch up. Or they can wait till it's a nation wide standard (this is most likely). I feel the importance of it is more iPhone than iPad but regardless it will have a major effect in the market.

5. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Very unimportant for me as I doubt I'll be able to use 4G for a while so I won't be paying for it...

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Not important for me at all for another few years at least, until it's more widespread and battery tech catching up. 3G speed is enough for what I'm doing right now.

7. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

It depends on your schedule and whether 4g is available in your neck of the wood. If you are near wifi at all times, then it may not be important. If the 4g is faster than wifi, then it depends on how much data Verizon will provide. So, at first, it may not be practical. It is a nice to add in the product's resume, but it may be something never used or limited due to cost. It is like the hotspot feature. How often do you used it? If Verizon limit 4g to be 2gb, then it may not be used as much. How much more will it be to the phone bill is another question? If it is fast enough and reliable, it can replace home internet. But again, will it be capped?

So, 4g is nice, but when will it be practical and cost effective for the user?