How in #@$*&! do I lock my rMBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

It seems like I typically can't go more than a day or two without someone completely ruining my day...

I just unboxed my new 13" retina MacBook Pro and was feeling all tingly, until I went to attach my new $50 Kensington laptop cable lock and realized there is no palce to conenct it?!

Who in the **** makes these decisions?

Does this mean I have to take my laptop with me to lunch and balance it on my head when I am in the bathroom?

In this day and age of both cybersecurity and physical security threats, how in the hell can there be no way to secure my nearly $3,000 Apple laptop?

I am seriously considering returning it, because as it currently stands, my laptop will be stolen in the next week...

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I know a couple of folks that use this.
    (More secure than relying on that little swivel piece on a Kensington cable lock, which I have seen broken off easily in a grab, yank, and run theft)

I am just curious. Is this for school use, or in a business?
    Do you have a desk drawer that can be locked?

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

How sturdy is it?

It doesn't look as sturdy as the cable slot on my old MBP. That one uses the whole case to secure things, whereas it appears that the lock you mentioned relies on the tiny screws that hold the bottom of the case on.

Business.

I'm NOT going to pack up and lock my laptop in a drawer every time I step away from it for a few minutes.

That is UNREALISTIC.

I don't need a 2-ton logging chain attached to my laptop, but I do need something strong enough to reasonable keep my petty thieves away.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The lack of the lock slot has been part of the rMBP design for 4.5 years, this should not be a surprise. If you looked at pictures, it should have been evident the slot wasn't there.

As for a solution for the problem, the item linked by @DeltaMac looks pretty sturdy, and even comes with a lock

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

First of all, none of the MacBook computers (Pros, Airs or MBs) that I've owned since 2009 have ever had a kensington lock slot.

Secondly, those locks are jokes - the are incredibly simple to to defeat or break off. And a simple pair of wire cutters can sever the cable in seconds.

However, if you insist on using one of the cable locks, try this one:
    http://scottkelby.com/90-second-rev...for-an-apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/

6. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I have never heard of a laptop in my natural life that didn't have a slot for a cable lock - apparently not the case with retinas.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2016 ---
    My 2012 MBP has a slot...

Do you live in the South Bronx?

Yeah, I see at least 4-5 people with sky masks and large cable cutters walking around public libraries in places like Des Moines Iowa all the time... :rolleyes:

Can the Kensington cable lock on my 20132 MP be defeated? Yes.

But does it increase the chances 100 times that it will deter people in places like work, the library, church, etc so they don't try? Absolutely.

Interesting, although I prefer a key, and it looks like it could scratch the heck out of my rMBP.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yep. So does mine.

8. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast