How in God's name do I activate Classic Mode?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jimijazz, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jimijazz macrumors member

I have a version of Finale that won't run in Mac OS X. The installer tells me to restart in Classic Mode... just got a MBP and I have gathered that there is an option to use Classic Mode without restarting - however, all guides have failed to tell me HOW TO DO THIS.

Frustrated. I just want to notate some damn music.

- james

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is no classic mode on intel macs. You can however use SheepShaver :)

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

4. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

Classic is not supported on Intel machines.

On a PPC model, launch an app that requires OS 9. Insert a CD that requires OS 9.
    If the mac is old enough you can boot straight into OS 9, select OS 9 start-up disk in Sys prefs.

5. jimijazz thread starter macrumors member

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I can suggest Amadeus II for writing music in OS X. I hear its a great program.

7. jimijazz thread starter macrumors member

I can see how to get it working under Basilisk, but it doesn't have instructions for SheepSaver.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can pretty much follow the Basilisk directions for getting SheepShaver going. The programs have similar preference options. As long as you have the right ROM and bootable disk image you should be ok.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think Basilisk's faster so it might be a better choice, however there are complications either way:

Basilisk can run OS 7.5.5 which is available for free from Apple's FTP server, but it also needs a ROM which is only available if you own a classic Mac.

SheepShaver doesn't require the ROM but does require an OS 8 or 9 CD, which you'll have to pay for if you don't already have one.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

SheepShaver requires the NewWorld ROM, but it isn't too hard to find. I think SheepShaver is pretty quick as well, Basilisk is just running an older OS so it is very snappy.