How in the $*@!& do you print to photo paper in Leopard??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dimwhit, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I hate the 'new' print dialogs. I have no idea why they changed them. I'm in iPhoto, trying to print to photo paper. No where, NO WHERE, can I find where to select the type of paper I'm printing to. I thought it was automatic, but my printer won't print to the photo paper because it's expecting standard paper.

I'm sure there a super-Apple-intuitive way to do this, but I sure can't find it. Hell, it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get iPhoto to print two copies of the same photo on the same page. Any help would be appreciated. I'm afraid I'm going to throw my iMac out the window, I'm so frustrated.

Oh, and the 'Help' menu? Completely useless.

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

It depends on your printer driver. But for my HP, there's a drop down box in the print dialogue, and one of those selections is "paper type / quality".

I agree that printing in OS X isn't as intuitive as the rest of it. But sometimes the crappy drivers from the printer manufacturers don't exactly help either.

Good luck
    SL

3. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I used to have that drop-down, too. But I don't since moving to Leopard.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The detection of paper type is handled by the printer driver.

Select the photo(s) you want to print. Bring up the print pane, then select 'Customise' on the bottom right of the preview pane. The photos appear in the 'Printing' album, under 'Recent'. Press print again. Now expand if you already haven't, and then select the drop down menu 'iPhoto', and find something like 'Paper Type/Quality' as it is with my HP printer.

5. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's how far I get, but nothing there. I guess it's a trip to the driver download page. I thought I had the current drivers (it's not an old computer). Hopefully that clears it.

Thanks.

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Well it's there on mine, and I'm using Leopard. But note that I'm also on iPhoto '06.

Does it come up when you print from other applications, such as Safari? If it doesn't then it sounds like a problem with your printer driver. Maybe you should try and re-install it.

SL

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

What Printer, Which iPhoto

I know how you feel... I went from Tiger to Leopard, and iPhoto v6 to v7 all at once. Took me forever to figure out how to print one image to a full sheet without the automatic cropping... Did you know it automatically cropped to fit an image to a full sheet?

Which version of iPhoto are you using? Which printer? Maybe with that info someone with the same setup can help. Also, have you checked the Apple forums? There is a whole section there on iPhoto.

I have a Canon i860, and the paper type is right there in the dialogue. Obviously you are using a different printer since the driver has tucked it away out of sight.

Good Luck

8. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'm using iPhoto '08 and the Kodak EasyShare 5100 AiO. I finally got it to print, and it appeared to print in photo quality (or close enough this time), but even after installing the current firmware and drivers, I still didn't have an option to select the paper to print on.

Maybe I'll go check out the Apple forums. I just don't like it there much. But I suppose if it gets me my answer, it's worth a shot...

9. quest4apple macrumors member

When I select print with photos selected, I get a print dialog box with options down the left (Standard, contact sheet, etc), a preview on the right, and four drop downs on the bottom.

The bottom drop downs are Printer, Presets, Paper Size, and Print Size. When I change my Printer in the Printer menu, the exact entries in the Presets drop down change, but that is where I have the option of selecting the paper type.

For example, with Printer set to Deskjet 6800 (an HP Model), the default Preset is Photo. Clicking on Photo though reveals Photo-Fine, Photo on Plain Paper, Photo on Matte Paper, and Photo on Photo Paper.

On the other hand with the Printer set to Canon iP600D, the default Preset is Photo on Plain Paper, but I can change it to Matte or Photo paper as well.

When I click on Print after that setting the System Print Dialog window opens with the iPhoto settings visible. If I change iPhoto to the driver specific area for selecting the paper type, I see that iPhoto has already done it for me. Incidentally, the Deskjet calls this area Paper Type/Quality, while my Canon calls it Quality and Media.

10. rvinny macrumors regular

The explanation is confusing but correct.

In the 2nd print dialogue screen (not the iPhoto one but the 2nd one that pops up from your printer) expand the window to show all options (little up arrow next to your printer name) and you'll see the preset is for iPhoto (that loads from main tray), change the preset to 'paper type / quality' (for HP) and you can select your tray. You also get all the HP driver options this way.

btw I am using 10.5.6, iPhoto '09, and a HP C5180.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Can you take a screen shot for us and post it?

Something along these lines? You don't have a drop down? I have a feeling this might be a print driver issue. I had to download a few new ones from Canon in order to do this.

Also what type of printer is it?

Attached Files:

12. shwc macrumors regular

I suspect that the OP does not know about the expansion toggle (the triangle button near the printer name). Click on the triangle and the simplified print dialog will expand to the full featured dialog.

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

What may be confusing you is that for most printers there are two drivers you can choose from. Many people when they upgraded to Leopard unknowingly changed drivers, not just upgraded from changed.

Drivers can be supplied by the printer makers or you can also use the one from the Ghostprint project. (these might be called Gutenberg Project drivers.) Ghostprint is the free open source Postscripst interper that Apple uses inside Mac OS X.

Mac OS X uses the "CUPS" (Comon Unix Printing System) that is also used by Linux, and many Unixes. Apple didn't write it.