Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

showdown311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
i just recieved a slightly used early imac g5 and i go to network settings and i see it dosent have an airport card....how can i connect it wirelessly to the internet. if a picture is needed to help clarify i will provide one

Thomasthetug

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
Winterpeg, Manitoba
Do you know what exact model it is because, at this point i believe all macs came with airports. I'm assuming the previous owner took it out or it doesn't work anymore, if yours didn't come with an airport.

showdown311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
its a 1.8 ghz imac...the all white one. and it also says superdrive on the top corner...what does that mean

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
its a 1.8 ghz imac...the all white one. and it also says superdrive on the top corner...what does that mean
I have the same one, I think I had to purchase my own Airport card and install it myself at the time (april 2005). but i didnt get it from apple, i got it from some place..... b&h photo video? i think thats the place is called, i didnt buy it my dad did

Thomasthetug

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
Winterpeg, Manitoba

Super drive means it can burn cd's and dvd's as well as play cd's and dvd's, i have a 2005 model as well as you can see in my spec, and i know for a fact it came standard even though i wasn't the owner from the box opening but has been in my house since new. So i'm not sure you might have to buy one and maybe open it up to see if there's one in there.

Well i must be a slow typer or my INTERNET is slow :D

showdown311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
so what airport do i NEED to get...or will they all work and its just personal preference?

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Click on apple then click on About this Mac.

look under network to see if you have a airport card installed.

If not the installation is easy just google it , it takes less than 10 minutes to install and set up your airport card, but the 2005 models should have an airport card installed.

--Eric

showdown311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
hey thanks alot i know im a noob but this helps alot...and its pretty cheap too...i just hope it fits in my imac

showdown311

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
yesterday when i clicked the link to the card...it showed a different card...now it only shows the airport extreme...it says its only compatable with airport extreme compatable computers...yesterday the link showed simple airport card not the extreme??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.