Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelo Z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Ok so I got a new 16 GB touch. I open it, and the first thing I do is go on the itnernet. It says that it cannot find server. So then I go to settings, and wi-fi. I see a connection without a lock next to it, so I click on it and I connect. Then I click on the little arrows for details, and it shows the IP number, etc. Then I exit and go back to safar and it says it still can't find the server? In the settings it says DNL or search domains, I have no idea what that means. There are other connections that appear in the list, but I need a password to access since they have a lock next to them. Please Help!

Angelo Z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Eh, I have no idea what you mean by that. When I go to wi-fi settings, there are networks that appear. There are like 3 of them that come but you need a password to access. And one that does not need a password. It is belkin54g or something like that. I touch it, then I go back to safari and still doesnt work. I go back to settings, and click on the blue arrow next to the network name where it comes up to a screen that displays the IP address, etc. At the bottom it says proxy, manual, auto, etc. Now I have NO idea what all of that means. I am just totally blank about this whole internet thing, zero, zilch.

Now how do I loose the password and unprotect network? What is the password supposed to be?

Angelo Z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I don't know, it is my parent's computer. I should have...I mean there is a network name that appears on my list without a lock.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I don't know, it is my parent's computer. I should have...I mean there is a network name that appears on my list without a lock.
Assuming it was your parents that set up the network (if you have a wireless one), then ask them what the password for the wireless network is. To help you out, please try to answer these questions: how many computers do you have and do you know how they are connected to the internet (ethernet cable, dial-up, wireless)?

Angelo Z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Yeah it's there's because it is belkin54g. Ok so I select it, and the antenna icon lights up, but it still says it cannot find a server. Ther problem is that I select a network that is unprotected, but I still cannot access internet. Do I need to put in any numebrs like the domain, etc. on the network's name screen? It is not wireless, it doesnt have an antenna in the back, nor a router. Regardless of that, then how could my touch detect it? They use a phone line.

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
You still havent answered the question.
It is your parents wireless network, or one of your neighbors?

If the only unprotected network is the belkin, then you must ask your parents if it is your home's wireless network (if you even have one).

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
Then somewhere in your home, there is a wireless router broadcasting that signal.
Go to it, and either flip the on off switch or unplug it from the electrical socket.

This is what I did to mine, as I was having the same problem when I first attempted to access internet from my touch.

So, in short, reset your router, and try again.

Since it is unprotected you shouldnt have to input anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.