How inviting is my site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by adamfishercox, Apr 13, 2009.

1. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Trying to get people as interested in the app as they can be... does the site work for that? Is it easy to get around? Are you interested by the app, and might you come back?

http://adamfishercox.com/simpletask/

Thanks in advance!

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you're wanting to get people interested in the app then you should feature it on the front page instead of having the blog there. Is the idea to tell people how excited you guys are to be working on this unknown app? Or to tell people what the app is and does so they'll become interested?

you want a blog on the front page? all right if you must, but make it secondary to introducing your product!

Blogs may become interesting to a site visitor AFTER they've become interested in the product, but if the first thing a visitor sees is a blog, well, kinda an interest killer in my opinion

3. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it's in development right now, when it is downloadable the front page will of course be the Overview and download.

4. dantherevelator macrumors regular

The colors look a little dingy to me. Everything's about the same level of vibrance.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It looks really nice, although I would change the grey for the main section to white.

6. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Mostly I think the site looks good--easy to read (good size and weight on the fonts, for instance) and easy to navigate. For some reason, the wood-floor background bothers me. It distracts from the text. I'd consider using the colors you use for the different to-dos as background colors on various pages ... ?

7. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I like the site. Out of curiosity, what program did you design the page in?

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

nice site. i was wondering what program you used aswell

9. torndownunit macrumors regular

In general I really like the site and the colours. But I gotta agree with the previous poster on the wood floor. Part of that is personal preference in that I just don't like it, but I point it out more because it doesn't seem to suit the site. The wood floor doesn't relate to the product, but also just doesn't seem to relate to the rest of the design.

10. wheelhot macrumors 68020

font problem in Safari 4 Beta, the white shadow makes it a lil bit uncomfortable to read, try toning it down?

Edit:
    Okay, it seems the page didn't load the gray background, now everything seems okay, good job on the site

11. mac88 macrumors 6502

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Macky Mac +1.

You really need to push the product. The site now looks like a well-laid out blog, with no real direction. The colours and layout are very good, and the site is smooth enough, but you need to clearly define user tasks.

1. Push the product: Explain what product is, how it benefits you and where to download it.

2. Returning visitors: Where to find support (login, support contact, etc) or have questions answered.

You are off to very a good start, though :)

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

I tried to re-size the page. It did not go well. Your page was cropped and the lines did not re-wrap. In fact even while cropped there was some of that wood texture background still showing on the left side. Why show the wood when you have to crop the text? But why crop the text when you can re-wrap the lines to fit in the available space. You need to re-think what happens when the screen is small.

Will at least there was no Flash intro - thanks for that.

14. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

It's called a "fixed width layout." Many sites have them. You do point out the wood not fully disappearing, which is something I'll look into, but other than that, it's not a fluid layout so it's not going to fit into any postage-stamp windows. Sorry about that.

15. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Love that front page. I didn't see the old version, but I'd assume it's just the blog page? Anyways, that looks very professional now, it's only flaw is that a lot of sites have a similar look now, but that's probably unavoidable.

jW

17. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I like the look and I'd probably use the app if it could be integrated into the dashboard or geektool.

However, I don't like pages that have a lot of images that have to load. Is there way you could do a header image or a logo and have the rest of the page in standard code? It'd load faster on slower connections.