How Iphone 4 and 4s becomes 8gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kar120c, Dec 16, 2013.

1. kar120c macrumors member

At the end of their commercial life Apple downgraded Iphone 4 and 4s to 8gb but how does this transformation? I don't want to believe that Apples start a productions of 8gb "disks" but it I think Apples makes some changes of the 16/32gb Iphones. Anyone knows the truth?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They outsource the "disks" and it's cheaper to do so. It's not like they went the trouble to start a production. It's true of many parts used in the iPhone and other products.

3. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I'd think that of course it's not apple who produce the 8GB chips, but several other manufacturers. Those chips are used in many other products, too, so they definitely have a right to exist. And the reason is probably quite simple and obvious, those 8GB chips are very likely cheaper than their bigger siblings, and that's the whole reason apple uses them.

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I know it has been this way since the beginning but..

The advertised gb should be the amount of free gb available counting the ios.
    For example 16gigs should really be 19gb and 32 should be 35 and so on.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Think about what you're saying. 3rd party manufacturers are certainly not going to produce 19 gb, 35 gb, etc. "disks" just to give Apple the desired amount of free space and Apple is most certainly not going to advertise actual, difficult to remember numbers and have that change all the time each new iOS.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

7. kar120c thread starter macrumors member

Anyone has opened an Iphone 4/4s 8gb and compared the chip with others?

8. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

Maybe op was hoping to hear that Apple software disables half a 16 GB chip or something like that.
    Something that could be brought back to life with a firmware hack or something.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

What production are you talking about?

Apple doesn't produce the hard drives. Like most parts of the iPhone, they're purchased from another company and delivered to Apple's iPhone assembly factory. At the end of a product's life, Apple simply stops ordering 16/32/64GB chips and only assembles with the (much) cheaper 8GB ones.

The few remaining 16/32/64 phones are sold off quickly as the new phone is released.

The idea that Apple would, instead of saving a few million dollars by buying and using smaller/ cheaper chips, actually spend money producing, testing, and developing a way to seemingly change the size and then lie to the public about it (risking a huge PR issue) is laughable at best.

10. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I gotta jump in here and ask but I just looked it up on eBay and did see 8gb 4s phones but back when I was buying and selling iPhones I thought I remembered one of the things I checked for when assuring it was a 4 s was standard 16gb.Have they always made 8gb or am I right that 16gb was standard at launch?

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

They just started selling the 8GB 4S when the 5S came out. Before that 16GB was the standard.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57602299-37/remember-the-iphone-4s-apple-makes-it-an-8gb-freebie/

It's primarily to attract cheap would-be Android users. Case in point: nearly half of iPhone 5c users came from Androids whereas 80% of iPhone 5s users came from older iPhones.