how is 10.12.4 on your 2016 Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Mar 27, 2017.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

which model ya got and hows it working?

I understand it literally just came out today and moments ago at that, but given the last macOS update was just over two months ago, think some people may be interested in learning about the results as it pans out

2. Olz macrumors member

Olz

I've only just installed it so haven't had much time to put it through it's paces yet but so far I'd say night shift is good, and it appears as though the animation skipping that occurred when scrolling up and down in the Applications folder is more or less gone - huge improvement. Hopefully this smoothness carries across the rest of the operating system.

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

So far, so good. Night Shift is great! Installation took maybe 5-10 minutes or something.

4. mcomp112 macrumors regular

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

So far, so good on mines. FINALLY we got night shift!

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have been running the Developer betas on my 2016 tMBP with no problems thus far, and today's release is no exception.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

awesome I know its early on but thanks guys

this feedback is especially helpful for people running betas prior (assuming much didn't change, which is often the case but I know not always)

going to give .4 a whirl on my nTB

8. medulla macrumors regular

Mine took 24 minutes if I'm not mistaken, is that fine or should I be concerned?

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

mine took around that too, and failed to reboot properly was just a black screen

force restart and a reboot got it fixed.

geez

10. blairian89, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

Mine installed perfectly without any issues. I can't tell a difference in usability; working flawlessly.

It did take awhile to update, but that has been a typical experience for me.

11. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I have been running it on my 15" since beta 4, been very happy with it and no issues even from the mid-beta on.

12. tnfan macrumors newbie

Mine took about that long also. No issues.

13. shakhashiro macrumors newbie

the graphics issues from before 10.12.2 are back on my 2016 15" macbook pro. did they update the graphics drivers in this version?

14. leman macrumors 604

I can't really comment on the final release so far, because I've been only using it for few hours, but my observations about the developer betas:

- massively improved PDF performance for larger documents
    - much nicer bluetooth audio out experience (seamless switching, no lag)
    - Safari feels snappier :)
    - the last beta (one before the release) did introduce some weird slowdowns and partial hangs (so far haven't noticed them on the final 12.4)

15. fireedo macrumors member

fireedo

installed this morning and I can say everything went very smooth, update process went fine, night shift is working great, I dont really know about performance difference but its running good.
    Graphics glitches never happen to my 2016 pro since I bought this machine.

16. cityboy-100 macrumors member

The 5k display interrupted the update, caused rolling kernel panics after login. I was so angry I packed up the machine to return it. Then I took it back out and tried a bunch of restarts and single-user mode things, eventually inadvertently landing on a screen I'd never seen before related to unlocking file vault.

Apparently the kext cache or signing was screwed up. I just hate these machines but I need a new computer. They are so buggy and I know it's just a matter of time before I lose some data. I can't believe this $4000 setup barely works at the basics.

17. alexballvideos macrumors newbie

alexballvideos

I'm stoked.
    Three finger drag lives on!
    Running a 2016 15/2.7/500/460 Pro, only recently acquired a week ago.

Spent the whole day editing a 1080P project in FCPX, going well so far.

Took a good 25min to install with two reboots happening while letting it do its thing.

18. Laurie65 macrumors member

19. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

Working really well.

Though I did have to change how the dictionary is invoked, as the updade process had changed it to force touch only. What's interesting is, that before the update the dictionary would come up with force touch, and three finger tap. Now it seems to be either or, which is fine by me, but still a bit curious. That, or I'm missing something.

20. szilske macrumors member

All fine... or at least not worse than before. TouchBar is still buggy and shows just an empty bar from time to time and Mail still cannot handle attachments along with S/MIME.

21. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Base model MBP 13 inch

4K external screen won't wake up from sleep unless I lift lid

22. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

To be honest, I wasn't really keeping track of the time. I might be mistaken, it could have taken more than 10 minutes.

As long as your Mac is working fine after the update, I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about. :)

23. fokmik macrumors 68000

So questions for those who have 15" MBP that runs by default on HD 530...there is a lag in mission control etc?
    and how its the three fingers? it is working as it should now? palm rejection is still good?

24. michaelromanenko macrumors newbie

michaelromanenko

Volume icon on TouchBar is slightly changed: grey waves show current volume level in the scale of the peak.

IMG_0192.jpg

BTW, I've experienced random TouchBar freezes from time to time. Not a single one on the new macOS version so far! I hope, this is because of the bugfixes they've silently included ;)

25. fokmik macrumors 68000

yep we already known from the log of beta
    " Volume slider now visually indicates levels" but nice touch, you know, the little things