How is 2.1 going to improve battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Espo, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Espo macrumors 6502

the battery life is supposed to be increased significantly, what is significant? And how are they gonna do this?

2. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Who cares, nobody has it (2.1) installed yet... so what's to say it even does.

3. ottergal macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing. What I'd love to see them do at some point is introduce some new setting options so that you can "auto manage" some of your battery saving preferences. For example, something that says that if you're not actively using location services that it should be turned off after xx time. Of if you're on WI-FI, turn off the 3G chip.

I already get pretty good battery life, so I'm not looking forward to this as much as some people, I think.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

No one knows.

Perhaps not every component is "sleeping" as often/long as it should. Perhaps some antennae are using more power than they need. Perhaps the battery sensor which measures charge remaining is overly conservative and shuts down the phone far too soon. Perhaps it uses Reality Distortion Field Energy, otherwise known as the Placebo effect. Who knows?

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Cool. Maybe it runs at 3.0GHz too. ;)

7. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

It depends. It could do the following:

Optimize Push functionality
    Optimize the 3G chipset/code
    Optimize the Location services code to locate faster.

Likely all performance optimizations if anything at all...Time will tell...

On the original first gen they did make improvements that improved battery life...

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Likely the following:

Better Power Management/Sleep with WiFi
    Locations Services turn off when you leave an App that turned them on
    GPS Sleeps when not being used
    Better Brightness controls.
    Accelerometers sleep when not in use.
    Better Application Indexing to reduce time needed to find the Apps.
    Better Memory Management.
    3G/EDGE switch overs
    3G Power Corrections

TEG

9. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Turn off WiFi
    Turn off Location Services
    Turn off Auto-check e-mail
    Turn Brightness way down
    Turn off Fetch

Your battery should now be leaps-and-bounds better, otherwise, you might have a defect.

10. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Just a note to say location services are off most of the time and are only on when an application requests it, and even then there are fairly strong guidelines around only using them as briefly as possible.

11. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

The firmware update will kill one of the 2 hamsters inside your iPhone, thereby requiring less energy to run it.

12. darkwing macrumors 65816

It could be that Apple engineers, who specialize in bloated and inefficient software, have made things a little more efficient so the CPU can idle more frequently.

13. calvy macrumors 65816

and you could be trolling.

14. icewing macrumors 6502

Really? Not slamming you or calling you a liar, just curious - what's your source for this? I've been keeping location services turned off due to recommendations here that you mention. Thanks!

15. danny_w macrumors 601

Hopefully 2.1 will fix the random battery drainage due to 100% usage. Most times when I fully charge my iPhone, the usage count tracks correctly, but sometimes it randomly seems to track the standby time almost exactly. Of course when it does that the phone dies in a few hours. I have seen others here reporting the same issue with no pattern that anybody has been able to discern.

16. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Some countries don't have EDGE (yes, that is how behind the US is)...so that feature would be kind of useless since that would mean they're turning off their phone in order to use Wi-Fi...

17. ottergal macrumors member

That's not been my experience. If I go to maps and tell it to find me, it will ask if I want to use my current location, turning on Location Services. I have always had to manually go in and turn it off when I'm done.

There may be some sort of management around how hard it's using it, but it's showing active in the settings.

18. ottergal macrumors member

That's why I said a that an option to set that would be nice. I would use it, you might not.

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I doubt Apple would have something as specific in that case, though...

That's why a lot of other users' feature requests aren't on the iPhone yet...like turning off auto-correct, landscape settings for specific applications, etc. Except having a feature that would only be used in a couple countries is even more secluded than those.

Have you even seen a feature on the iPhone that is geared towards a couple countries?

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

And when Steve qualified that statement with "for some", who did he mean? Doesn't sound like everyone's going to see great battery improvements.

I don't think that Location Services uses extra battery unless a program is specifically asking for the current location.

i.e. just because the setting is turned "on" in Preferences doesn't mean that Location Services is drawing battery power when you're listening to the iPod, or surfing in Safari.

21. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Really? If I have LS turned off in the prefs and then turn it on immediately before finding my location in Maps, it takes a long time to finally zero in on my location. If it's already been on in prefs, finding myself in Maps is nearly instantaneous. I thought this was because the GPS already was locked on to the appropriate satellites instead of having to acquire them while locating me in Maps.

Also, why does my battery go down more quickly with LS turned on, even if I don't use any apps that use LS all day?

I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything, but it seems to go against the behavior of my phone.:confused:

22. FJR macrumors regular

my guess is mostly managing the 3G's power usage better.

Its probably a combo of the iPhone using too much power for 3G (which has been said is part of what is causing all the 3G problems on AT&T's network) and a few other smaller things here and there. I'd even be willing to bet that the fix was mostly to fix the problem with AT&T's network first and it just had the side benefit of giving better battery life.

It'll be intersting to see, because if its not 3G, then it would also apply to the iPhone 2G, and since the 2G's battery life is already pretty good, it'd have pretty amazing battery life for a smart phone, possibly the best battery life of any smart phones.

23. ottergal macrumors member

They already have an option to turn it off. Obviously, people who are in 3g only areas don't use that feature. I don't think that it's a large stretch to make it a conditional setting, but I also don't think that we will see it. I said I'd LIKE to see that, but I'm not expecting it.

However, the OP asked how they were going to increase battery life. Apple already suggests that turning off 3g will help that. I was responding to the original question with what I saw as a (potentially) natural progression of a feature that's already being offered.

24. darkwing macrumors 65816

Not at all. If the software is made more efficient so that the scheduler can idle the CPU more often because there's nothing else to do during that time, then the power consumption goes way down.

Or are you reverse trolling?

25. FJR macrumors regular

My guess is that the some refers to 3G owners, as opposed to 2G owners. And that the fix will be better power usage of 3G.