How is AirDrop

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dominicanyor, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Has anyone here use airdrop since apple came out with it? If you have how much do you use it.

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I've used it once or twice; I forgot that I had this feature since I had an alternative method. I still commonly send images/etc through iMessage since it's simpler that way for me. Plus, it doesn't require the person to be close by.

I have wondered though - can AirDrop be used when neither phone has data service? Also, is the transmission counted as data transfer to the carrier?

3. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

Air drop is essentialy Apples way of bluetoothing stuff. Then again, everything except what most people want to transfer.
    Only used it once to test. Pretty much DOA.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

AirDrop for iOS would be much for useful if it worked with OS X.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use it to transfer stuff between my iPod and iPad. If it didn't rely on wifi, it'd be better though.

6. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I use it often at work and at home. It's a joy to use and its only going to get better.

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

Agreed. It is very useful if you have to transfer 200 photos or 1GB of music to another phone.

Regarding the photo part, my girlfriend and I went on a trip and it was counter-productive for each of us to take photos on our iPhones so we took pictures with just one phone and used Airdrop to transfer them to the other phone. Took about 2 mins for 200 photos.

8. 617aircav Suspended

9. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

it 100% does NOT require for you to have an active wifi connection. it uses the wifi chip in your phone to make a secure connection to the device you are airdroppping it to, that is why the wifi has to be turned on.

you can airdrop in the middle of the desert with no internet as long as you are in proximity to another airdrop capable device and both have bluetooth and wifi turned on.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yep, was about to say this. Doesn't require you to be on the same WiFi network.

Near the bottom of this Macworld article explains how it works:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2048737/get-to-know-ios-7-airdrop.html

11. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

:rolleyes: Well it's a good thing it doesn't then.

12. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I will have to tried it with my iPod to transfer photo.

----------

Does my iPod has to have airdrop as well to be able to transfer photo?

13. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

I use airdrop quite often as it is SUPER fast. I've been really surprised at how quick it is. I've only used it with pictures so far but it works flawlessly. I prefer it to iMessage because if you send a photo through iMessage the receiver has to take the extra step of saving the photo to their camera roll but if you airdrop it, it automatically saves.

14. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Photo stream wasn't an option for you? Would've been much easier to share a photo stream.

15. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I used it to add contacts to another phone. You can't do that in iMessage. The whole AirDrop is like that Bump App.

I totally agree that it would be helpful if you could use it with OSX.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

We get it now. :rolleyes: Considering that both Apple's website and our devices tell us that we have to turn wifi on, it was apparent to us at the time that we needed to be connected to an actual internet connection and not just have the chips on. Many others probably think this too.

I will try it next time I go out.

17. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

I am hoping this feature arrives sooner rather then later.

18. 617aircav Suspended

Didn't know this.

19. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Photo stream requires data usage or a wifi network. AirDrop requires neither.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

sure you can. Go to the contact, click the info button, and then share contact using message app.

21. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Never used it. I just send stuff as text and email.

22. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Absolutely correct! There have been a few times where this would have been extremely convenient and it just would make sense to have it work between Mac and iPhone

23. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I wish the devices didn't have to be so close to each other for it to work. If it worked from 3' to 10' it would be great. It would make it more practical IMO. I'd like to send files over AirDrop to a co-worker or classmate who isn't exactly seating right next to me. The way AirDrop works right now is practically useless for me in most scenarios.

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Bluetooth file transfer but six years late and worse in every single way. Slow, not cross platform, restricted and muddled about file types, inexplicably tied to contacts.

I really really hope it's effectively scrapped in iOS8 and they just start again with a standards based approach that actually works, but the same name.

25. techadict macrumors newbie

Great but when locked!

It's a really good idea, but seems to need the iPhone to be unlocked in order to appear on another device, therefore no request notification is even possible such as when a Facebook notification appears on the lock screen, and indeed no way to send (or request to send) to a locked device. Perhaps as this is because the chips are off when device locked? Either way a disappointing aspect of a good communications feature!